classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Catenary curve

Joshua Hennessy
Hello

LibreCAd is a great program and I have just used it to make all my drawings for a planning application. Thank you!

Now I want to make drawings for another proposed development and I want to draw a catenary arc for a straw-bale house design in which the the rendered straw bales form the walls and roof of the structure.

Anyway, is it possible to draw a catenary curve in LibreCAD?

I don't know if the 'Plot' plugin would help - but I don't know how to install plugins and I can't find a tutorial that I can understand. I am running LibreCAD on Solus Linux but could install it on Windows if that makes a difference.

I don't think a catenary curve can be derived from an ellipse unfortunately.

Sorry if this has been answered before - I did search the forum for 'catenary' and got nothing.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Catenary curve

Stan Walker
Hi Joshua, I am also new here. But have you tried "spline thro' points" after calculating the points required for your Cantenary Curve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joshua Hennessy
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried a few experiments but it doesn't come out right. I did it with six points and it was still noticeably off unfortunately. Good idea though. I'd never tried that function before.
Reply | Threaded
|

Stan Walker
In reply to this post by Joshua Hennessy
The more points you have the more accurate it will be. Similar to plotting on graph paper.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joshua Hennessy
Yes, indeed. Just a lot of work to do that even for one instance of a curve, and I want to experiment with lots. I might try blender although I've never used that before and it looks terrifying.
Reply | Threaded
|

Stan Walker
The fun part is in the calculations. Used to design segmented dome for some very large tanks, many years ago. Without the use of a calculator, used a slide rule. Enjoy. Though I am sure you can find something on the internet where you input your particular parameters. and it spits out the answers. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Stan Walker
In reply to this post by Joshua Hennessy
Hi Joshua, you might want to take a look at this link. The elephant never forgets, in his hunger for knowledge. Intelligence is gained through knowledge, Education is but a stepping stone towards such knowledge. Good day my friend. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=catenary+curve
Reply | Threaded
|

Joshua Hennessy
Thanks Stan, looks like a good resource. 

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 at 14:50, Stan Walker [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joshua, you might want to take a look at this link. The elephant never forgets, in his hunger for knowledge. Intelligence is gained through knowledge, Education is but a stepping stone towards such knowledge. Good day my friend. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=catenary+curve

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Catenary-curve-tp5715856p5716306.html
To unsubscribe from Catenary curve, click here.
NAML