Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Change Rotation Direction To Measure Clockwise instead of Counter-Clockwise

Tango
The surveyors who have worked on our lot sent me .dxf files of the current data.  This is a big help to me, since it lets me do some simple surveying work (to figure possible house site locations) on my own.

There is one issue that creates a lot of extra work for me.  When lines are drawn on the map, they are done with compass bearing.  A line running from south (bottom) to north (top) that is rotated to the right (clockwise) by 90° (using the south end as a pivot and moving the north end of the line in the rotation), in LibreCAD, will be rotated by 270°, since LibreCAD measures the direction of rotation moving in a counter-clockwise direction.

On a compass, the direction of rotation is measured in a clockwise direction, so that same line, if it were running from west to east, would have a 90° rotation (and, if it ran from east to west, would have a 270° rotation).  But in LibreCAD, that same line would have those numbers reversed.  LibreCAD measures the degree of rotation from the top (North) and counts counter-clockwise.

If I drew a compass on paper, North is 0°, East is 90°, South is 180°, and West is 270°.  But if I have the same markings in LibreCAD and want to rotate something facing North so it faces East, then, according to LibreCAD, that's a 270° rotation.

Is there any way to tell LibreCAD to measure rotation in a clockwise direction?  My work would go MUCH faster if I didn't have to take every bearing I have from using a compass and subtract it from 360° to get the rotation I need to use in LibreCAD.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Change Rotation Direction To Measure Clockwise instead of Counter-Clockwise

LordOfBikes
Administrator
As every other CAD system, LibreCAD is based on a cartesian coordinate system.
Angles are measured counterclockwise and 0° is in X+ direction or east in compass notation.

There was some effort in past to implement surveying function in LibreCAD, but never in the main repository. And I don't know about the latest status.

But maybe following hints satisfy your needs:
You could nearly everywhere, where an angle is needed, enter a calculation and LibreCAD does the rest.
Try to enter 360-90 and the rotation will be 270° ccw.
This example could be more simplified, as you could enter negative angles too.
Enter -90 and you will get a rotation of 90° clockwise. So simply add a minus sign to an angle value may do the trick for you.

Armin

investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
While that may seem like something simple, it's a HUGE help!  Thank you.  Sincerely, it does make my life easier.  I've been getting so tired of having to do the math on the calculator for each angle!
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
You're welcome! I'm glad that it works for you.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution