Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Change from Librecad 2.2.0 alpha

Hal_v_1937
I'm running Librecad on Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and I opted for a PPA using sudo add-apt-repository ppa:librecad-dev/librecad-daily which gave me LC 2.2.0 alpha, but now feel I'd be better (safer with my limited knowledge) using the latest stable version.

I've found a PPA  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:librecad-dev/librecad-stable  which apparently will install this version.

However I'd really appreciate some advice on how best to achieve the change. For example will I need to delete LC 2.2.0?
If so what is the cleanest and safest way to do this?
Also will it update along with other packages when I run Symantec for updates?

Apart from some test runs, I've created no important drawings so backward compatibility will not matter.

Alternatively if I just stay with 2.2.0, will I be advised when the "Official" version is released?

As you can see I really need help, so thanks to anyone in anticipation.

Hal.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Change from Librecad 2.2.0 alpha

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hal,

do you have any issues with the 2.2.0 alpha version? Or is it the alpha that make you uncertain?

Don't worry about the alpha in the version label. I believe that the latest version is as good as the stable ppa version.
The latest version is nearly ready for release. I think we will skip the beta state and move to release candidate with the latest code soon.

If you want to switch to the stable ppa anyway, find instructions how to remove the daily ppa on askubuntu.com:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/307/how-can-ppas-be-removed

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Hal_v_1937

G'day Armin,

Thank you for your reply, you were absolutely correct in your assessment, it was just the Alpha label that concerned me. I haven't had any issues with 2.2.0 alpha to date, it works well and is so flexible in that it can be adjusted to suit laptop screens very neatly. All in all a great piece of programming, having spent thousands during my working life on AutoCAD, Intellicad, and such, to have such facility free of charge is quite amazing.

When the official version is released, will there be any notification as I feel that is when I'll close down the daily build PPA?

Thank you also for the "Ask Ubuntu" link, some really good answers there.

Off the topic I know but the whole Linux ethos is just wonderful, people are interested, and offer unreserved assistance, something we need worldwide.

Once again thank you, your support is most appreciated.

Hal.

On 01/12/17 06:23, LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD] wrote:
Hal,

do you have any issues with the 2.2.0 alpha version? Or is it the alpha that make you uncertain?

Don't worry about the alpha in the version label. I believe that the latest version is as good as the stable ppa version.
The latest version is nearly ready for release. I think we will skip the beta state and move to release candidate with the latest code soon.

If you want to switch to the stable ppa anyway, find instructions how to remove the daily ppa on askubuntu.com:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/307/how-can-ppas-be-removed

Armin

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Change-from-Librecad-2-2-0-alpha-tp5715513p5715517.html
To unsubscribe from Change from Librecad 2.2.0 alpha, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hal,

you're welcome!

New release versions are announced in the Announcements sub forum.

You can subscribe to any sub forum when you click on the Options link on top of the table header there.
When you are subscribed, you will receive any new post in the sub forum by mail.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Hal_v_1937

G'day Armin,

Thank you yet again.

Hal.

On 01/12/17 20:29, LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD] wrote:
Hal,

you're welcome!

New release versions are announced in the Announcements sub forum.

You can subscribe to any sub forum when you click on the Options link on top of the table header there.
When you are subscribed, you will receive any new post in the sub forum by mail.

Armin

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Change-from-Librecad-2-2-0-alpha-tp5715513p5715521.html
To unsubscribe from Change from Librecad 2.2.0 alpha, click here.
NAML