Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Circles from the Command Line

SmallCar
I'm using version Version: 2.2.0.2 and trying to draw circles from the command line using a center location and a radius.  The command line does not understand this and when I type in the center location, it never asks for a radius.  I can insert a radius into the tool up in the menu bar but to do that you first have to pick "Circle, center, radius" with your mouse which is a little cumbersome.  But I just watched a tutorial where the "instructor" specified a circle center and then a radius in the command line.  I cannot figure out how to do that!  There is no command listed which would specify a center and radius.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Circles from the Command Line

dellus
There is no command line equivalent for Circle - Center, Radius.
As a workaround use normal Circle (Center, Point) and specify the radius with for example @10,0.
Reply | Threaded
|

SmallCar
Thank you for the reply.  Not to belabor the issue, but why was the "center, radius" capability from the command line removed do you suppose?  I would think that "center, radius" would be the primary or fundamental format for circles with some of the other ones added if needed.  It appears that it was available in older versions.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I have no idea. Maybe center, point was considered more versatile.
I have checked an old 2.03 portable version, and indeed ci there means center, radius.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Iirc there was just a discussion about wording and modification of the Circle Center,Point tool.
The old wording radius was meant to provide a point on the circumference, by click or command line, what is in fact the radius.
But because of the wording users entered a single number, which is not valid for a point, and failed. Therefore it was renamed from radius to point to avoid this irritation.
I don't remember that entering the radius was removed, but don't nail me down on that.

So entering the radius with Circle Center,Point tool requires a coordinate. With a relative coordinate the radius is part of the coordinate, e.g. @0,10 or @10,0 or 0..10 or 10..0.
This was probably used in the video you mentioned. If you post a link, we can check it.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

SmallCar
I was looking at this tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUrkN4-New&t=187s

If you look at about the 10 minute mark, he uses the "circle" on the command line.  He's asked for the center which he gives, and then the radius which he gives.  I assume this is an older version that he's using.  I think at some point in his series he gives the version number he's using.  

I actually don't have a problem using the work around to give a point on the circle relative to the center coordinates.  It's just that the concept kind of tripped me up until I realized that using the @ for relative distance and either a distance in the "X" direction or the "Y" direction is really the radius.

Many thanks for the explanations!

Don
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
I must have been offminded when talking of v 2.0.3. No, it's in 2.1.3. With the command ci, after specifying the center, you are asked to specify the radius, and it works with that, no coordinate necessary.