Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dimension Offset Subject to Snap

electrosteam
I run LC 2.1.2 with Lubuntu 17.10.1 on an old Dell laptop.
The software is right up to date with every upgrade offered.

The positioning of dimensions has changed since I last used LC, a few months ago.

Originally, the position of the dimension text was selected by a free click of the mouse without any restrictions.

Now, the dimension text position is subject to the snap selection.

Very inconvenient if going through a finished drawing adding dimensions with multiple select/deselect of the snap selection.

Have I forgotten something, is it my system, a drawing preference, or a bug that has crept in ?

John
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dimension Offset Subject to Snap

dellus
You should have "Free Snap" on permanently, additionally to other selections, except for special cases. Does it work that way?
Reply | Threaded
|

electrosteam
Dellus,
The free snap is difficult to use on my current drawing, it covers an area of 50 x 50 metres with circles of 100 mm diameter.
I want to snap to the circle centres, which are below visibility when adding dimensions.
Zoom in/out and snap on/off all work fine - just time consuming.

I am sure previous drawings were dimensioned by clicking to intersections, then positioning the text with a free click.

John
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
It may also be a matter of your paper size, intended printing scale, used units, dimensions settings. All this is of importance even if you don't really want to print it. Can you give these details? Or a simple sample drawing with your settings?
Reply | Threaded
|

electrosteam
Dellus,
Thanks for taking the time.
The attached drawing shows a length of fence with other details removed.
The length is 16000 mm with posts shown as 100 diameter and a selected spot as symbol similar to a radiation warning.

I dimension by snapping to centres, to get the value, then deselect snap to position text where desired.

This is the first really large drawing attempted, perhaps all previous dimensions were done with free snap.
As previous drawings were small machining parts, free snap works fine.

No sweat, I can get the job done.

Sample_1.dxf

John
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I didn't have any problems positioning the main dimension line with the text using free snap in this drawing. I had selected Free Snap and Snap Center. No need to switch snap on and off.
An appropriate scale for a drawing of this extension might be 1:100. So in the dimensions settings set "100" for "General Scale". Then you will get a readable text and arrows size.
Also you could think about using larger units, cm or m, regarding the extent of the drawing area. On the other hand, some time ago a british user told in this forum that in the U.K. , after switching from imperial to metric, mm is being used in the construction industry for everything.

Sample_1_100__mm.dxf 

Reply | Threaded
|

electrosteam
Dellus,
You are correct, Free Snap plus Centre Snap does work correctly.
I even tried additional circles of 400 and 800 diameter.
The snap does not go to the circle intersection with the line, always to the centre.

I have misunderstood what Free Snap is, I took it to be any of the selections, so it could be an intersection or centre.
This shows that I have not done my homework on Free Snap, apologies.

My next task is to research Free Snap.

John

PS. Opened a couple of dwg drawings today generated by ProgeCAD (AutoCAD clone ), no problems, keep up the good work.