Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dimensions: Only a Line, no Dimension shows

Tango
I'm using Version: 2.1.0-alpha, SCM Revision: 2.0.7-1000-g6e704a5.  I have the Dimension DockWidget showing and click "Horizontal."  It tells me to "Specify first extension line origin," so I left-click on the left side of the object I want to label with a dimension.  Then it tells me, "Specify second extension line origin," and I left-click on the right side of the object.  Then it tells me, "," so I move my pointer up to where I'd like it to print the dimension and left-click.

At that point it draws 3 lines, one horizontal, presumably where the dimension data would be printed, and two vertical, at each end of the dimension line, to the line origin points I selected earlier.  Then it goes back to the beginning of the process, asking for the first extension line origin.

I also tried to follow the instructions in the manual, under Dimensioning and text, and I notice that indicates the dimension should appear once I've clicked to indicate the second line origin point, but it doesn't.  I do not see the dimension at all, just the lines.

I am on a layer with a color other than the background color, just in case that matters. I also changed the background to a different color to see if it showed up when I did that.  Still, no dimension data, just the three lines.

Do I need to do something to specify the color of the characters for the dimension?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dimensions: Only a Line, no Dimension shows

ravas
I'm guessing
current drawing preferences -> dimensions -> text height
enter in the desired height (the drop down menu isn't very helpful).
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
Text height was set to 1.  Changed it to 5 (biggest in the drop-down) and that didn't make a difference.  So I changed text color to black/white and the size to 10.  Still nothing.

So it's most likely an issue with text not displaying as opposed to a setting that might apply just to the dimension function?
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
It works fine here. Try a larger number.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
It takes a BIG number!  Just what unit is text height measured in?

I tried 50 and could see a line, one pixel high and rather short, like a very tiny bump on the dimension line.  Same with 100.  Changed the text height to 1,000 and it was finally big enough to read.

Also, is the scale in the Current Drawing Preferences different from the scale in the "regular" text box when I want to add other text to my work?  I have that set on 5 and the text is a bit larger than what I got changing the height in Current Drawing Preferences to 1,000.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
I also notice I get '0,79' for a line that's about 21 feet long.  I have, under Current Drawing Preferences, the Main Drawing Unit is 'Inch' and Format is 'Architectural.'  When I use Info to get distance and area, it comes out in feet.  I'm not at all sure where the '0,79' comes from on the dimension for that length.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
When setting dimensions properties you have to consider the scale intended to be printed. Even if you don't want to print it is important for the layout, one expects the relations of textsize etc to objects and paper or screen size as one is used to from traditional plans. So if you want a drawing in 1:100 you have to set text size etc 100 times larger than you want to see it on the plan. As I am continental european I have no understanding about imperials and their scaling standards, but I have tried to make two templates you might try out. If they are not right they still may lead you in the right direction. Perhaps your architect will be so kind to make you a proper template.

dellus

mech_inch_1_1_letter.dxfarch_inch_1_64_letter.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Tango
I missed to set the linear units to arch.
arch_inch_1_64_letter.dxf
Better this way?
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
Thanks, dellus, for the files.  Right now I'm cramped for time, so I'll be trying those as soon as possible.

I was just surprised I needed such a large figure and was wondering just what kind of unit it was measured in.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
I think it's supposed to be the same as the drawing units.
I don't use dimensions, but I was just playing around with the options
and noticed the "general scale" needed to be set to 1.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
Oddly though, when the general scale is set to 1 the text becomes displaced.
When the general scale is .5 the text is aligned properly... this seems like a bug.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
I have the scale in inches, but I'm also using Architectural as the mode.  That makes it adapt easily for when I measure using info, giving measurements in feet when it's over a foot.  I was hoping there would be a way to get Dimension to do the same thing.  Since the two functions are related, it seems to me it makes sense they should behave the same.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
Change the 'linear units' in the dimensions tab.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
That does it.  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peta
In reply to this post by ravas
Hi, I have a slightly different problem, I have the dimensions text box but nothing in it. I change size of the text, it changes the size of the text box. I change size and colour of everything, it all works, it just doesn't write down the dimensions of the objects.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
From FAQ:
Why do I not see the text associated with dimensions?

You might need to raise the value of Current Drawing Preferences → Dimensions → Text Height. You might also need to adjust the value of Current Drawing Preferences → Dimensions → General Scale.
If you see an empty rectangle where the dimension text should be, then check that View → Draft is not active.

So in your case: Switch Draft mode off.