Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Drawing Line width different than printed width

lectrond
I just started using LibreCad after years of Autocad.  And my first problem is a major one.  In order to get a line that can be seen when printed, I have to increase the line width on the drawing until my circles look like donuts.  The ratio between the drawing and the print preview is significant.  I have so far not found how to correct this.  Also, I have no Block list or Layer list on my right hand side and I can find no way to bring them up.  It is difficult to make accurate drawings with all these fat lines.  There must something going on.  I checked blogs and it seems that everyone tells me to increase my line thickness.  How about a clear and simple solution so I can start drawing again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Drawing Line width different than printed width

dellus
Draw the lines with the width you want them printed on paper. For example 0.25 mm for normal lines and 0.5 mm for cut parts. Be sure you have the intended paper size set in Options - Current Drawing Preferences - Paper. Same with units. For printing go to Print Preview and set the desired scale. Stay in Print Preview and print from there. If still no success you may provide a sample drawing so I can have a look what's going wrong.
Regarding Block and Layer list go to Widgets - Dock Areas and activate Right. By default it is on. You might have switched it off accidentally when playing around. In the default layout there also is a tab for this at the bottom of the screen.
Also look at Widgets - Dock Widgets, may have been deactivated there.
Reply | Threaded
|

lectrond
When you go to print preview, does your drawing change? Do your lines become thinner and fainter?
Reply | Threaded
|

lectrond
When I draw them to the width I want printed, they are very wide in drawing mode.  Is this correct.  Are they different.  Oh forget it, I have a new problem.  I pulled up my Library Browser,  located an electrical symbol folder and opened it.  I chose a symbol and tried to drag it into my drawing and only got a red circle with the slash though it.  Is Drag and Drop available from the Library Browser to the Drawing? 

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 9:19 AM, lectrond [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
When you go to print preview, does your drawing change? Do your lines become thinner and fainter?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Drawing-Line-width-different-than-printed-width-tp5714995p5715019.html
To unsubscribe from Drawing Line width different than printed width, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by lectrond
If your circles look like donuts in drawing mode, they are very small in comparison to the line width, for instance 2mm diameter at a line width of 0.5mm.
In drawing mode line width always looks like when printed at scale 1:1.
In print preview with a scale set at 1:1 it will look like in drawing mode, but with scale set at 1:10 or 1:100 lines will look fatter in relation to the drawing contents, as lines will be printed in their fixed width, whereas the geometry will be scaled down. If you want the lines thinner you would have to set a scale of maybe 10:1, upscaling, which is unusual.
The problem seems to be lying in the initial drawing layout. If you are drawing an electrical diagram there isn't really a scale to apply, so probably you will use 1:1. Or if you want to draw the electrical installations of a house into a floor plan you might need 1:100. What is it you want to draw?
You may have to change the size factor when importing elements from your library.
I recommend to draw a rectangle in the size of the intended print paper first (adapted to intended print scale), to get a feeling of sizes of your elements on the sheet when drawing. I have included 2 templates in 1:1 and 1:100 you can try out.

No, there is no drag and drop from the library to the drawing, you have to click on the symbol, and then on "Insert", below. The tab above the drawing screen will change and offer fields to set angle and factor at insertion, choose insertion point and insert.

mech_mm_1_1_a4.dxf

arch_cm_100_a4.dxf

Reply | Threaded
|

lectrond
That's it.  1:1 printing, and the width matches.  Thanks. 

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 6:04 AM, dellus [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
If your circles look like donuts in drawing mode, they are very small in comparison to the line width, for instance 2mm diameter at a line width of 0.5mm.
In drawing mode line width always looks like when printed at scale 1:1.
In print preview with a scale set at 1:1 it will look like in drawing mode, but with scale set at 1:10 or 1:100 lines will look fatter in relation to the drawing contents, as lines will be printed in their fixed width, whereas the geometry will be scaled down. If you want the lines thinner you would have to set a scale of maybe 10:1, upscaling, which is unusual.
The problem seems to be lying in the initial drawing layout. If you are drawing an electrical diagram there isn't really a scale to apply, so probably you will use 1:1. Or if you want to draw the electrical installations of a house into a floor plan you might need 1:100. What is it you want to draw?
You may have to change the size factor when importing elements from your library.
I recommend to draw a rectangle in the size of the intended print paper first (adapted to intended print scale), to get a feeling of sizes of your elements on the sheet when drawing. I have included 2 templates in 1:1 and 1:100 you can try out.

No, there is no drag and drop from the library to the drawing, you have to click on the symbol, and then on "Insert", below. The tab above the drawing screen will change and offer fields to set angle and factor at insertion, choose insertion point and insert.

mech_mm_1_1_a4.dxf

arch_cm_100_a4.dxf

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Drawing-Line-width-different-than-printed-width-tp5714995p5715021.html
To unsubscribe from Drawing Line width different than printed width, click here.
NAML