classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ECAD Symbols [Again]

Kozbot
This post was updated on .
The old thread is locked due to no activity/age so here is my hopefully more fault-tolerant attempt at a library.

I created a github repo for this at: https://github.com/kozbot/kecb

The main file of concern is kecb.py that uses ezdxf and numpy to generate files in ./dxf folder.

Instead of the original 10 units x 10 units in a 1/8" block I am now using:
UNITS_PER_BLOCK = 20.0
BLOCK_SIZE = 1.0 / 8.0  # Block size , assuming Imperial we are setting to 1/8"

For metric I would either leave block size as 1 (so it would effectively be 20mm x 20mm) or use 25.0/20.0 to keep them approximately the same printed size.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ECAD Symbols [Again]

Kozbot
Status update.  Working on the back end to support transformations better, specifically rotation as there are cases where I need to draw symbols rotated 90 degrees vertically (this is also typical for IEC style drawings.)  After that I need to add better support for multiple pole versions of symbols before I can go back to creating the actual symbols.

Future plans right now include:
Standard Line Styles
Block optional argument instead of just drawing on default layer
SVG Export?
Circuits or enhancing Symbol class (more intelligent combinations of symbols)
Title Blocks
Config Files for personal standards? On my title blocks I state colors used and wire gauge.
    Ex.  External Voltage | Yellow | 14 AWG
Make a separate repo with CC0 containing all the symbols?
    So license is clearly different from the program used to generate.
    Gives a place to download if that's all you care about.

It's heading in a general direction based on what I plan to automate for myself but hopefully either the symbols or program will prove useful to others in the end.

Reply | Threaded
|

Kozbot
Transformations and multi pole drawing is working pretty comfortably now.  Progress made on standard linetypes, mainly a matter of testing until they all look right then I can close that issue.  After that, I think the next priority is to complete the basic symbol set and plan out the next batch of symbols I find useful.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kozbot
Work deadlines have been taking my free time away.  But I don't intend to walk away from this project.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kozbot
Cleaned up some code, added some line styles that I didn't realize were already available to me, and added a couple new symbols now that I have the line styles under control.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kozbot
Slow going but working where I am able.  Hopefully I will get a written  approval from my job to allow me to work on this during lunch or using company assets (my work laptop) while retaining the existing license which will give me a lot more chances to get things done.  Right now I am able to use the code at my job but if I were to make a change it automatically becomes proprietary and screws up the licensing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kozbot
No luck on working on this using work laptop during lunch, got the run around but have mananged to get a few more symbols done otherwise.  Trying to set a goal for myself to make sure I get a few done per week.  Up to 36 total now but I won't be satisfied until I have my whole standard library completed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kozbot
Refactoring now so symbols are a bit more abstracted and can be exported to formats other than just dxf.