Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Export to pdf Problems

electrosteam
In a recent thread, I discussed problems with various computers with various OS reading pdf files produced by the Print-to-File option - still not resolved.

So, I reverted to the Export-as-PDF option, which didn't work reliably on a previous occasion.
I exported about 25 files and got 5 failures.

With two virtually identical files of about 58 kB, one exports fine at 130 kB, the other exports to a blank page with 286 kB.

The drawings include a rectangle 50 m x 70 m as the border of an area of land containing my live steam club's loco depot track layout.
The rectangle bottom left corner has been snapped to grid (0,0).
The two drawings represent different versions of a possible track re-build.

Experimenting, I modified the bad one with a circle 0.05 mm radius about 0.02 mm from the origin.
The resultant pdf file shows the corner of the rectangle with the circle sized at about 20 mm diameter on an A4 sheet.

The printed sheet appears to be orders of magnitude bigger than that required.

At one point the construction symbol (#) for Layer 0 was On, turned it Off with apparent success on one drawing, but not repeated on another.
Then I suspected the Snap-to-Grid selection, turn it off and get a file to export correctly, but not repeat for the next.
Next suspect was perhaps a stale move, so select all, move elsewhere, save file, close, open and move back to (0,0), no joy.

I cannot get the last one to export.
There is something wrong with my options somewhere.
Opening two instances of LC and meticulously comparing every feature of the two drawings reveals nothing (to my eye).

Could someone please enlighten me ?
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Export to pdf Problems

electrosteam
I think I have discovered the missing factor.

If I do a Print Preview before exporting, all goes well.

Did all the remaining faulty files this way with complete success.

John
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Export to pdf Problems

dellus
Fine you have found the reason by yourself.
I always have advocated all printing (to paper) or exporting to pdf or raster should be run through the Print Preview procedure by standard. Otherways often unexpected results happen driving newbies to despair. Simple printing (fit to page) without settings could be named QuickPrint or something like that.
This would need quite a rework of the user interface, who to do it? Some years ago when Ravas was a main developer, he considered this, to my suggestion, but he didn't dare it.