classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filleting problem

Aaron
Hi
Help please. I am unable to make a trim fillet.  Every time I try I get a fillet plus two line that have to be erased.
It works on a rectangle, but not on lines.  I am using ubuntu if that is of any consequence.
Is there a solution to this?
Thanks
Aaron
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Filleting problem

Philip
Hi Arron,

I'm on Windows so I don't know about Linux.  The Window version works fine.  Two lines connected at right angles.  Two lines at different angles and not joined.  Does some funny stuff with parallel lines but trying to fillet parallel lines is just silly.  Give a little more detail about what you want to do and the steps you have taken.
Reply | Threaded
|

Aaron
Thanks for your response.
I will try and explain as simply as I can
If I draw a rectangle using the rectangles tool I can trim and fillet in one go.  If a draw a rectangle using four 2 point lines and then try to fillet, it will make a fillet but also duplicate the lines of the rectangle.  These lines have to be deleted and in some cases redrawn. This used to work fine, but has not worked since an upgrade.
cheers
Aaron  
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Aaron,

there is a checkbox in the upper tool options bar, where you also define the fillet radius. The checkbox is labeled "Trim". When it is unchecked, the fillet tool works like you describe it. Check the Trim checkbox and the Fillet should work again as you need it.

Armin

Fillet tool options
filet-tool-bar.png
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Aaron
I am really sorry but it does not work. The strange thing is if I un-check the trim box all I get is the fillet and the lines are deleted.
Aaron
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Aaron,

there's no reason to feel sorry

Maybe you can upload screenshots before and after filleting, to make things clearer.
Also, what is your current LibreCAD version and operating system?

There is a difference between the rectangle tool, which creates a polyline and a 'handmade' rectangle with 4 single 2-point lines. This has changed sometime in 2.0 release iirc. Before that, the rectangle tool created 4 single lines too, with no relation between the lines.

Filleting a polyline always trim the lines because the polyline is a container entity and the fillet has to be inserted in the chain of entities.
But filleting simple lines is influenced by the Trim checkbox. When the checkbox is checked, the lines should be trimmed to match with the fillet. When it is unchecked, the fillet is created, but the lines should be untouched. On no account they should be deleted by the fillet tool.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Aaron
Hi Aaron,

I have tried to duplicate your problem but am unable to do so.  In the screenshot below, I created two squares.  Both are 10 x 10 units.  You can see from the command line window that the square on the left was created using the line command.  I used the rectangle tool to draw the one on the right.  I was able to use the fillet tool on both squares without issue.  I am using version 2.1.3.  As LordofBikes says, try to post a screenshot.

Reply | Threaded
|

Aaron
Hi
I am on ubuntu 16.04, libreCAD SCM revision 2.0.9.
An image is attached which I hope illustrates the problem.
Cheers
Aaron
Problem filleting
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
Arron,

I have a laptop running Linux and tried to duplicate the problem on that machine.  The fillet command worked correctly on both a square drawn with the rectangle tool and one drawn with the line tool.  This laptop is running Ubuntu 17.1 and LibreCAD 2.1.2.  I don't know what is causing your problem.  Perhaps update LibraCAD, Ubuntu, or both?  Worth a shot.

Also, I notice your LibraCAD screen is different from mine.  Maybe LordOfBikes can shed some light on this.

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
The user interface was changed with the 2.1. series. The new version is much improved anyway, so updating is strongly advised. I think in Ubuntu 16 only the old version is in the standard repo, maybe you can upgrade to an "unstable" 2.1 version, but I am no Linux guru. Probably the simplest way is to upgrade Ubuntu too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
Thanks for the info about the interface.  Good stuff to know.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I haven't noticed at the first glance that in Aaron's screen the main (text) menu with the drop-downs is missing. I haven't yet found a way to switch it off. Could something be wrong with the installation? Maybe bad download?
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
I really don't know.  I can spell Linux but that's about it.  I have it installed on an old laptop but seldom use it.  Arron says he is using libreCAD SCM revision 2.0.9.  What is SCM?