Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

maqifrnswa
Google summer of code will be funded this year. It's now time for
organizations to apply. Would any dev like a free student to work on
LibreCAD (or any students on this list interested in working, getting
paid good money, to develop  librecad?) It's a mentorship program, so
it will take some of the devs time to help the student - but at Debian
the students we get are usually quite good and stuck with the project
after GSoC done.

http://code.google.com/soc/

We'd need to submit an abstract by February 27 - March 9, 2012.

maybe something with implementing DWG support with Rallaz? Or any of
the bigger feature requests?

~Scott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

dxli
I think we should apply.

More ideas:

1, new GUI:
https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/issues/217

2, enhance command line and script support


Thanks,

Dongxu

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:57 AM, showard314 [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Google summer of code will be funded this year. It's now time for
organizations to apply. Would any dev like a free student to work on
LibreCAD (or any students on this list interested in working, getting
paid good money, to develop  librecad?) It's a mentorship program, so
it will take some of the devs time to help the student - but at Debian
the students we get are usually quite good and stuck with the project
after GSoC done.

http://code.google.com/soc/

We'd need to submit an abstract by February 27 - March 9, 2012.

maybe something with implementing DWG support with Rallaz? Or any of
the bigger feature requests?

~Scott



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-and-LibreCAD-tp5482497p5482497.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, click here.
NAML



--
Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

R. van Twisk
Administrator
I agree with dli,

before we can make DWG support, SVG support, Scripting and more I think we should have a very good plugin support.
Once we have a plugin's working properly we are less strict in terms of what we link against, and we can move more
code out of LibreCAD into plugins.

Ries

On Feb 14, 2012, at 9:13 AM, dxli [via LibreCAD] wrote:

I think we should apply.

More ideas:

1, new GUI:
https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/issues/217

2, enhance command line and script support


Thanks,

Dongxu

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:57 AM, showard314 [via LibreCAD] <<a href="x-msg://1213/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=5482540&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:
Google summer of code will be funded this year. It's now time for
organizations to apply. Would any dev like a free student to work on
LibreCAD (or any students on this list interested in working, getting
paid good money, to develop  librecad?) It's a mentorship program, so
it will take some of the devs time to help the student - but at Debian
the students we get are usually quite good and stuck with the project
after GSoC done.

http://code.google.com/soc/

We'd need to submit an abstract by February 27 - March 9, 2012.

maybe something with implementing DWG support with Rallaz? Or any of
the bigger feature requests?

~Scott



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-and-LibreCAD-tp5482497p5482497.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email <a href="x-msg://1213/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=5482540&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, <a href="x-msg://1213/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.
NAML



--
Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org




If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-and-LibreCAD-tp5482497p5482540.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

maqifrnswa
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM, R. van Twisk [via LibreCAD]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree with dli,
>
> before we can make DWG support, SVG support, Scripting and more I think we
> should have a very good plugin support.
> Once we have a plugin's working properly we are less strict in terms of what
> we link against, and we can move more
> code out of LibreCAD into plugins.


Here's some info we need to apply:
http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#mentoring_apply

We need to set up a wiki page with proposed projects (we can use the
github one for now) to let students know what we're looking for. We
also need a program admin and back up admin.

Each student will get $5000 US and LibreCAD will get $500 per student,
from google. There is also a conference in CA at Google's headquarters
that mentoring organizations get to go to.

Here's KDE's ideas page:
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas

of course it's massive, since KDE is massive - but each project
follows a similar format.

I'd hate to dump more responsibility on Ries and Dongxu - but would
you two be interested in being the admins? I can help with that too
(or even be an admin for administrative purposes) but you two are much
closer to the code. You would also probably be the mentors, along with
Rallaz if he's interested - so if it's too much work I can offload
some of the paperwork stuff.

~Scott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

Rallaz
Another idea:
Implementaton of model-paperspace.
This is a powerful and useful tool for print views at the Same Different scales of drawing in a single plane.
or have a drawing with different installations (plumbing, electricity, data) and print a map with individually installations.

Rallaz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

dxli
Then, the first step is to set up the wiki page for ideas, either on librecad.org or on github.com

I feel Ries should take care of the web stuff. The rest of us should help filling in contents.

Scott can help us on preparing of application documents.

We only got 4 possible mentors(irc ids):  ries, rallaz, claudeQC, dli.

Dongxu



On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Rallaz [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Another idea:
Implementaton of model-paperspace.
This is a powerful and useful tool for print views at the Same Different scales of drawing in a single plane.
or have a drawing with different installations (plumbing, electricity, data) and print a map with individually installations.

Rallaz


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-and-LibreCAD-tp5482497p5482946.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, click here.
NAML



--
Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

fernandohildebrand
There are a lot of good things still missing in LibreCAD so it can be a complete replacement  to ACAD(or other),
Please, Im only talking 2D here, FreeCAD is already doing a great job in 3D.

We are missing treat the project more serious: Setting milestones!

-Model-paperview
-perpendicular snap
-tangent snap
-smartsnap.
-way of user to set hotkeys to commands eg: o=offset
-automatic focus on command window by hitting any key from a to z.
-shift+rightclick to bring on screen snap option.
-More options of markers on dimension lines, such as architectural ticks.
-Line types for Eletrical, architect....

After that: A shit lot of ton python scripts directed to individual areas: Eletrical, architecture, so on....



 
2012/2/14 dxli [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]>
Then, the first step is to set up the wiki page for ideas, either on librecad.org or on github.com

I feel Ries should take care of the web stuff. The rest of us should help filling in contents.

Scott can help us on preparing of application documents.

We only got 4 possible mentors(irc ids):  ries, rallaz, claudeQC, dli.

Dongxu



On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Rallaz [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Another idea:
Implementaton of model-paperspace.
This is a powerful and useful tool for print views at the Same Different scales of drawing in a single plane.
or have a drawing with different installations (plumbing, electricity, data) and print a map with individually installations.

Rallaz


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-and-LibreCAD-tp5482497p5482946.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, click here.
NAML



--
Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org




If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-and-LibreCAD-tp5482497p5483067.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, click here.
NAML



--
Fernando da Motta Hildebrand


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

davinder
On 16 February 2012 07:48, fernandohildebrand [via LibreCAD]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are a lot of good things still missing in LibreCAD so it can be a
> complete replacement  to ACAD(or other),
> Please, Im only talking 2D here, FreeCAD is already doing a great job in 3D.
>
> We are missing treat the project more serious: Setting milestones!
>
> -Model-paperview
> -perpendicular snap
> -tangent snap
> -smartsnap.
> -way of user to set hotkeys to commands eg: o=offset
> -automatic focus on command window by hitting any key from a to z.
> -shift+rightclick to bring on screen snap option.
> -More options of markers on dimension lines, such as architectural ticks.
> -Line types for Eletrical, architect....
>
> After that: A shit lot of ton python scripts directed to individual areas:
> Eletrical, architecture, so on....
But according to me the main problem is in scripting feature, if we
are done with it i think 60% project will be over.
--
http://davinder.in
Dont hurt the web, use open standards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

sp1der
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by maqifrnswa
Guys as you probably know I`m not a developer (not yet anyway -still learning the basics).

So from a users point of view, I think just keep it simple for now -yes there are still things to complete as mentioned but just concentrate on getting Version 2 out -and most of all guys take our time to get it right.


You are not under pressure from anyone, the only pressure will come from yourselves!

I thank Ries for even getting the whole thing started and of course the original developers. So to my "outside" users view I think that Ries and you original developers should yes of course set "mile stones" but make the whole thing manageable and have fun doing it not under pressure.

I personally do not want an Autocad clone -I like the way and feel of LibreCAD just as it is. However I agree with all the above comments that of course some of the features of other CAD programs would be great to see...in time.

The other thing is I`ve used and Know AutoCAD, Microstation etc.. etc.. and for me Librecad is just the simple 2D CAD program I want to see. For simple Laser cutting plans or DIY work/hobby work LibreCAD is great..

My question is .. Are people expecting a 2d AutoCAD alternative to use for "commercial" purposes for free?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Summer of Code and LibreCAD?

ClaudeQC

On 16/02/2012 5:34, Clive [via LibreCAD] wrote:

 >
 > Guys as you probably know I`m not a developer (not yet anyway -still
 > learning the basics).
 >
 > So from a users point of view, I think just keep it simple for now -yes
 > there are still things to complete as mentioned but just concentrate on
 > getting Version 2 out -and most of all guys take our time to get it
 > right. You are not under pressure from anyone, the only pressure will
 > come from yourselves!
 >
 > I thank Ries for even getting the whole thing started and of course the
 > original developers. So to my "outside" users view I think that Ries and
 > you original developers should yes of course set "mile stones" but make
 > the whole thing manageable and have fun doing it not under pressure.
 >
 > I personally do not want an Autocad clone -I like the way and feel of
 > LibreCAD just as it is. However I agree with all the above comments that
 > of course some of the features of other CAD programs would be great to
 > see...in time.
 >
 > The other thing is I`ve used and Know AutoCAD, Microstation etc.. etc..
 > and for me Librecad is just the simple 2D CAD program I want to see. For
 > simple Laser cutting plans or DIY work/hobby work LibreCAD is great..
 >

- I totally agree with you.


 >
 > My question is .. Are people expecting a 2d AutoCAD alternative to use
 > for "commercial" purposes for free?
 >

- Personally, I don't expect LibreCAD to become an AutoCAD
   alternative, neither support DWG format (DXF is sufficient),
   neither support a scripting language, neither being a
   "cutting edge" piece of software; but just being a "simple"
   2-D CAD software that can run on most popular platform.


Claude