classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greetings!

dan@sstrev.com
Hello all!
  My name is Daniel and I am looking to contribute to LibreCAD as I can. I was unable to determine how this community handles contributions and was ever hopeful someone could direct me in that matter. Currently I am working off of a fork of master.

As a means for example I have created a patch to fix a slight oddity with the SaveAs dialog. After saving a file to a folder (say folder X), closing the program, reopening the program, the default directory would be the directory above X and the file name would be the name of folder X.

This patch first removes an unnecessary break in the function QG_FileDialog::getExtension

The second part reworks most of the function QG_FileDialog::getSaveFile in order to prevent the above and gives a default name of Untitled (where an incrementing # is added if Untitled already exists)

The patch is attached bellow:
patch.diff
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greetings!

R. van Twisk
Administrator
Dan,

DLI is our release guy for 2.0.0.
If you are planning to long time support us, it's best to send us
pull requests through github. 

We should test this carefully on both OSX/Windows and Linux since saving and loading of files
are slightly different in both platform. OSX and WIndows behave the same, where Linux works slightly different.
You properly have seen the conditional compilation directives around that area…

Ries

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:08 PM, [hidden email] [via LibreCAD] wrote:

Hello all!
  My name is Daniel and I am looking to contribute to LibreCAD as I can. I was unable to determine how this community handles contributions and was ever hopeful someone could direct me in that matter. Currently I am working off of a fork of master.

As a means for example I have created a patch to fix a slight oddity with the SaveAs dialog. After saving a file to a folder (say folder X), closing the program, reopening the program, the default directory would be the directory above X and the file name would be the name of folder X.

This patch first removes an unnecessary break in the function QG_FileDialog::getExtension

The second part reworks most of the function QG_FileDialog::getSaveFile in order to prevent the above and gives a default name of Untitled (where an incrementing # is added if Untitled already exists)

patch.diff

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Greetings-tp5605322p5605322.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by dan@sstrev.com
Hi Daniel,

The file save/modified part needs more care. I'm glad about your willing to work on it.

I will apply this patch, and test it. I'm eager to see it main tree soon.

As Ries already mentioned, using git by github.com is the easiest way for us to work together. My own repository at github.com is at,

https://github.com/dxli/LibreCAD

where you can send pull requests for me to test.

Thanks!

Dongxu

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM, [hidden email] [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all!

patch.diff

http://forum.librecad.org/Greetings-tp5605322p5605322.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, click here.
NAML

--
Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org

Reply | Threaded
|

dan@sstrev.com
Dongxu & Ries,
Thanks for you replies! I am currently learning git & github and have just created an account for the later (username dstrev).

I am planing on having a longer term support; but as to how that will pan out I have no clue as this is my first endeavor of this nature!

I fully understand the Windows/OSX/Linux pain that can be incurred and have fought before with the save dialogs in Windows & Linux; however I have zero experience with Macs and still no means to test or build for them. I develop in Linux primarily but have a VM of Xp where I do my Windows testing and builds. Currently I am adding boost to my Windows VM to be able to test and build LibreCAD in that environment.

As a note I am using 4.7.4 in both Windows and Linux at this point.

-Dan
Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator

On Mar 29, 2012, at 9:13 PM, [hidden email] [via LibreCAD] wrote:

Dongxu & Ries,
Thanks for you replies! I am currently learning git & github and have just created an account for the later (username dstrev).

I am planing on having a longer term support; but as to how that will pan out I have no clue as this is my first endeavor of this nature!

I fully understand the Windows/OSX/Linux pain that can be incurred and have fought before with the save dialogs in Windows & Linux; however I have zero experience with Macs and still no means to test or build for them. I develop in Linux primarily but have a VM of Xp where I do my Windows testing and builds. Currently I am adding boost to my Windows VM to be able to test and build LibreCAD in that environment.

Dan,

for the loading/saving portion OSX and Windows behaves the same from Linux.
So if it works on Windows, it's highly likely it will work on OSX.
If you are really unsure Dongxu and me can test on windows, I can test in Windows and OSX but as OSX
is my native environment it's a lot easer to test in OSX for me.

Ries

-Dan

http://forum.librecad.org/Greetings-tp5605322p5605523.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator
In reply to this post by dan@sstrev.com
Dan,

before I forget. You can find us on #[hidden email]
so you can join there, chat and hang around. We both work so during
mid-day it's usually quit, but if there is anything I am usually beable to respond.

You can find me as Ries and Dongxu as dli

On Mar 29, 2012, at 9:13 PM, [hidden email] [via LibreCAD] wrote:

Dongxu & Ries,

-Dan

http://forum.librecad.org/Greetings-tp5605322p5605523.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

dan@sstrev.com
In reply to this post by dxli
Dongxu,
  I was hoping you could help me understand something; I have been attempting to push the saveas commit from my fork of LibreCAD to yours but upon selection of your fork github adds one of your commits called "printpreview: suppressed debugging messages" to the list after which I can not remove it...  This is after following the procedure from help.github. Is this normal or am I missing something?

dxli wrote
Hi Daniel,

The file save/modified part needs more care. I'm glad about your willing to
work on it.

As Ries already mentioned, using git by github.com is the easiest way for
us to work together. My own repository at github.com is at,

Thanks!

Dongxu

Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Hi Daniel,

I feel it's a merge issue. Your base tree is probably not updated to the latest master branch at github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD.

Try to merge the latest. since the "printpreview" part should be the same in the master branch and in my repository, pull request won't be showing it any more.

My way to do it from scratch (please note I'm using my account as an example, and my ssh public key is already registered by Account profile)

mkdir -p ~/github
cd ~/github

#clone
git clone [hidden email]:dxli/LibreCAD.git
cd LibreCAD
#add remote, the official repository
git remote add LibreCAD https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD
#update the added remote
git fetch --all

#checkout the master branch of the remote to a local branch named "upstream"
git checkout -f -b upstream LibreCAD/master
git checkout master
git merge upstream
git push

now, do some development in my own branch, commit the changes, and keep it updated:

git checkout upstream
git pull
git checkout master
git merge upstream
git push

here, the upstream branch is from the master branch at LibreCAD/LibreCAD, and the local master branch is linked to my own repository: dxli/LibreCAD. also, the remote "LibreCAD" is used read only.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may still have there.

Thanks,

Dongxu

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM, [hidden email] [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dongxu,
  I was hoping you could help me understand something; I have been attempting to push the saveas commit from my fork of LibreCAD to yours but upon selection of your fork github adds one of your commits called "printpreview: suppressed debugging messages" to the list after which I can not remove it...  This is after following the procedure from help.github. Is this normal or am I missing something?

dxli wrote
Hi Daniel,

The file save/modified part needs more care. I'm glad about your willing to
work on it.

As Ries already mentioned, using git by github.com is the easiest way for
us to work together. My own repository at github.com is at,

Thanks!

Dongxu

Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org

http://forum.librecad.org/Greetings-tp5605322p5607838.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-dev, click here.
NAML

--
Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org

Reply | Threaded
|

dan@sstrev.com
Dongxu,
  Thanks for the help! it seems it is going to take a little bit of time to get the hang of this however I appreciate both your's and Reis' help tremendously!

I was able to send a push request with the patch I created a few days ago, tell me what you think! Suggestions are much appreciated.

-Dan

dxli wrote
Hi Daniel,

I feel it's a merge issue. Your base tree is probably not updated to the
latest master branch at github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD.

Try to merge the latest. since the "printpreview" part should be the same
in the master branch and in my repository, pull request won't be showing it
any more.

My way to do it from scratch (please note I'm using my account as an
example, and my ssh public key is already registered by Account profile)

mkdir -p ~/github
cd ~/github

#clone
git clone [hidden email]:dxli/LibreCAD.git
cd LibreCAD
#add remote, the official repository
git remote add LibreCAD https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD
#update the added remote
git fetch --all

#checkout the master branch of the remote to a local branch named "upstream"
git checkout -f -b upstream LibreCAD/master
git checkout master
git merge upstream
git push

now, do some development in my own branch, commit the changes, and keep it
updated:

git checkout upstream
git pull
git checkout master
git merge upstream
git push

here, the upstream branch is from the master branch at LibreCAD/LibreCAD,
and the local master branch is linked to my own repository: dxli/LibreCAD.
also, the remote "LibreCAD" is used read only.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may still have there.

Thanks,

Dongxu

--
Dongxu Li, Ph.D.
www.librecad.org
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Hi Daniel,

I sent a pull request with comment to your repository.

thanks,

Dongxu