Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Guitar Geek from Upstate NY

Rich_S
Hi, everybody.  I've been trying out LibreCAD for the past week or so.  I'm an automation engineer by day, used AutoCAD a bit back in the '80s.  These days, AutoCAD is so complicated that mere engineers are not allowed to use it at my company.

On the side, I started using DesignCAD 2-D for personal projects and home improvement 'way back in the Windows 3.1 days.  When we made the huge leap to Windows 95, DesignCAD stopped working.  I contacted the publisher, and they sent me a patch.  I've been using DesignCAD ever since; because I knew it so well, I never wanted to change.  

Finally, after 20+ years, 64-bit Windows was able to break DesignCAD for good.  LOL.  So, I went looking for something to replace it without costing an arm and a leg, and found LibreCAD.  I then found Gary Fox's helpful tutorial series on YouTube, and I'm off and running.  Since I understand the basics of CAD already, I'm finding it pretty easy to get up to speed, once I figure out what the little green buttons symbols all mean.

For my starter project, I'm designing a 1-10" speaker cabinet for a little DIY guitar amp.  It probably won't get built until spring, because at the moment the garage is too cold for contact cement, not to mention my aging hands.  I'll also use LibreCAD for guitar amp and effects pedal schematics and layouts and home-improvement projects, like the roof I need to add over the back porch next summer.

I also plan to gear up to do automation systems drawings:  power distribution, panel layouts, PLC I/O drawings and the like.  You never know when I'll decide I can't stand the company anymore and strike out on my own.

Here are a few projects from my DesignCAD days, I expect LibreCAD will prove a capable ally for more of the same.

DIY Tube Guitar Amp:

A pair of fuzz boxes: