Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

High Quality Printing

lee.mark
from the application developers viewpoint I will always paint a line or circle. The trick is to setup a memory device that fits to the hardware.

So in this case the printer driver tells us that the printer has a resolution of 1200x1200 dpi. With this resolution a memory device is created, where I can print a circle say 100mm diameter. The memory device must handle how much pixel this are at the given dpi.
Now something goes wrong and it doesn't matter if this is in the driver or the hardware, both is from Brother in this case.

From the printing I can compute, that if the driver use 1200dpi and the line is too short, we need more dpi in the memory device to lengthen the line. In this case it is about 1209dpi. Now I would setup a memory device with 1200x1209dpi and use the same painting methods as before. That's all, more I don't have to understand.

This problem is as old as computer graphics. Most if not all CRT monitors has different resolutions in X and Y. So painting a circle to the screen needs more pixel in one direction as in the other one. This is a problem the driver developer has to solve. Regardless of whether it is a printer, plotter, screen or any other output device. As an application developer I always paint a circle.

check it out
Killadriver | EPSON L355 Driver Download | Driversetups | Drivergoods | Driversload | Softlegend |Otopost | Killadriver | HP Deskjet 1010 Driver Download | Canon PIXMA iP2770 Driver Download | Epson WorkForce 60 Driver Download
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: High Quality Printing

dxli
Since you are a developer with good understanding of the problem, would like to help us with support for printer calibration?

If I understand correctly, the scenario you described can be fixed from LC side by "printer calibration factors".

lee.mark wrote
from the application developers viewpoint I will always paint a line or circle. The trick is to setup a memory device that fits to the hardware.

So in this case the printer driver tells us that the printer has a resolution of 1200x1200 dpi. With this resolution a memory device is created, where I can print a circle say 100mm diameter. The memory device must handle how much pixel this are at the given dpi.
Now something goes wrong and it doesn't matter if this is in the driver or the hardware, both is from Brother in this case.

From the printing I can compute, that if the driver use 1200dpi and the line is too short, we need more dpi in the memory device to lengthen the line. In this case it is about 1209dpi. Now I would setup a memory device with 1200x1209dpi and use the same painting methods as before. That's all, more I don't have to understand.

This problem is as old as computer graphics. Most if not all CRT monitors has different resolutions in X and Y. So painting a circle to the screen needs more pixel in one direction as in the other one. This is a problem the driver developer has to solve. Regardless of whether it is a printer, plotter, screen or any other output device. As an application developer I always paint a circle.

check it out
Killadriver | EPSON L355 Driver Download | Driversetups | Drivergoods | Driversload | Softlegend |Otopost | Killadriver | HP Deskjet 1010 Driver Download | Canon PIXMA iP2770 Driver Download | Epson WorkForce 60 Driver Download