classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to form an arc

spike
Hi,
I’m gradually learning to use this software but am stuck in trying to insert an arc at a particular point. It’s a little difficult to explain but I’m attempting to form an arc that touches (a) a horizontal baseline and (b) the edge of an adjacent arc. The purpose of the arc that I am attempting to apply is that it will form a predetermined shaped curve between ‘a’ and ‘b’. To get the required shape in proportion it specifies that the radius of the arc be 1 inch, 25.4mm and this is the problem that I have. I’m having difficulty in determining the radius point in relation to the two points so as to draw the arc. I’m sure that there must be a way of achieving this, but after many failed attempts I’m seeking some help.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to form an arc

Gary S
Hmm, I'm not sure what you are trying to describe.  I've attached an image - is it something like this?

More generally, if the Arc tools [] don't provide what you need, you can create some construction lines and work from the intersecting lines and /or arc centres?
Reply | Threaded
|

spike
Hi Gary,

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.

I’m looking for a method that is straight forward to execute. I’ve tried vertical the horizontal lines method, but it seems like a hit and miss exercise
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Depending on the exact conditions, there might not be a geometric solution with one arc only. Can line A be enlongated / shortend, can a strait line be appended to the existing arc? You could provide a dxf with the entities in question.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary S
In reply to this post by spike
Okay, given you know the location of line (a) and arc(b).  The easiest way is to fillet it (Tools -> Modify -> Fillet, and specify a 1" radius).
Reply | Threaded
|

spike
Thanks for that Gary will given it a go some time tomorrow
Reply | Threaded
|

spike
In reply to this post by dellus
Hi

The image is as Gary has illustrated. I'm producing from an existing plan (on paper) with the intention of eventually applying it and other projects using CNC. I've always used Corel Draw for graphics in the past, which is a breeze to use, but CAD is a little different.
Reply | Threaded
|

spike
In reply to this post by Gary S
 Worked a treat, just what I was looking for.

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

adamdegross
In reply to this post by spike
i have the same question. thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

jack_sprat
A manual solution (as opposed to 'fillet') , which has other general applications:

1: draw two circles of your desired radius (25.4mm), both centred on the end points of your line and the arc.
2: set snapping to 'intersection'
3: draw an arc, centred on intersection of two circles, with 'Center, Radius'
4: delete the two construction circles