How to read librecad version numbers in ubuntu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to read librecad version numbers in ubuntu

maqifrnswa
There's a PPA set up that will build a new package everytime something
is committed to the github repo. Installation instructions are at
librecad.org.

The packages have version numbers like:
1.0.0~rc1+yeslib201107031942-0ubuntu0~daily3~oneiric1

1.0.0~rc1 = the most recent release that the version is based on

+yeslib = libraries are embedded

201107031942 = date and time of the build (19:42 UTC on July 3, 2011)

-0ubuntu0 = this has not been released in ubuntu

~daily3 = this is the third revision of the daily build packaging scripts

~oneiric1 = this is an oneiric system (and the first build for that
system for this date)



The official Ubuntu and Debian packages have version numbers like this:
1.0.0~rc1+nolibs-3

1.0.0~rc1 = release version

+nolibs = no embedded libraries

-3 = third revision of debian packaging scripts


~Scott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to read librecad version numbers in ubuntu

R. van Twisk
Administrator
Scott,

on that subject, I noticed that in ubuntu the SCM tag is empty,
this should (if I did my job right) show the GIT tag
in the form of: SCM Revision: 1.0.0rc1-119-ga41a27e

Can that get included in the ubuntu PPA?

Ries

On Jul 3, 2011, at 7:01 PM, showard314 [via LibreCAD] wrote:

There's a PPA set up that will build a new package everytime something
is committed to the github repo. Installation instructions are at
librecad.org.

The packages have version numbers like:
1.0.0~rc1+yeslib201107031942-0ubuntu0~daily3~oneiric1

1.0.0~rc1 = the most recent release that the version is based on

+yeslib = libraries are embedded

201107031942 = date and time of the build (19:42 UTC on July 3, 2011)

-0ubuntu0 = this has not been released in ubuntu

~daily3 = this is the third revision of the daily build packaging scripts

~oneiric1 = this is an oneiric system (and the first build for that
system for this date)



The official Ubuntu and Debian packages have version numbers like this:
1.0.0~rc1+nolibs-3

1.0.0~rc1 = release version

+nolibs = no embedded libraries

-3 = third revision of debian packaging scripts


~Scott



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/How-to-read-librecad-version-numbers-in-ubuntu-tp4548453p4548453.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to read librecad version numbers in ubuntu

maqifrnswa
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM, R. van Twisk [via LibreCAD]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Scott,
> on that subject, I noticed that in ubuntu the SCM tag is empty,
> this should (if I did my job right) show the GIT tag
> in the form of: SCM Revision: 1.0.0rc1-119-ga41a27e
> Can that get included in the ubuntu PPA?
> Ries

Does that work if someone grabs the release tarballs instead of github
clone? The packages in the official Debian and Ubuntu repositories
don't do a github clone but instead download the .tar.gz from github.

Actually, the automatic builds don't even do that - they grab a bzr
branch which imports the github branch. It's silly, but the only way
to automatically do it with PPAs (they don't do gits.)

~Scott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to read librecad version numbers in ubuntu

R. van Twisk
Administrator

On Jul 3, 2011, at 8:16 PM, showard314 [via LibreCAD] wrote:

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM, R. van Twisk [via LibreCAD]
<<a href="x-msg://400/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4548553&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:
> Scott,
> on that subject, I noticed that in ubuntu the SCM tag is empty,
> this should (if I did my job right) show the GIT tag
> in the form of: SCM Revision: 1.0.0rc1-119-ga41a27e
> Can that get included in the ubuntu PPA?
> Ries

Does that work if someone grabs the release tarballs instead of github
clone? The packages in the official Debian and Ubuntu repositories
don't do a github clone but instead download the .tar.gz from github.

Scott, unfortunately if a person or system downloads a tarbal I don't have away
of knowing what version this actually is when qmake is executed.

Currently the build system issues the command : git describe --tags,
and uses that as the SCM version in the about.


Actually, the automatic builds don't even do that - they grab a bzr
branch which imports the github branch. It's silly, but the only way
to automatically do it with PPAs (they don't do gits.)

That's a pitty, because on the #CAM channel I sometimes answer questions
around LibreCAD, and currently I don't have good insight in what version
they really use, my knowledge of Ubuntu is unfortunately low enough 
for myself to not even know :)

Is there something we can do to change this? Could the build system use the filename?
As I noticed that github sends the describe as the filename...
I don't know what bzr is.....

Ries



~Scott



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/How-to-read-librecad-version-numbers-in-ubuntu-tp4548453p4548553.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to read librecad version numbers in ubuntu

maqifrnswa
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM, R. van Twisk [via LibreCAD]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a pitty, because on the #CAM channel I sometimes answer questions
> around LibreCAD, and currently I don't have good insight in what version
> they really use, my knowledge of Ubuntu is unfortunately low enough
> for myself to not even know :)
> Is there something we can do to change this? Could the build system use the
> filename?
> As I noticed that github sends the describe as the filename...
> I don't know what bzr is

I added more information to the ubuntu package version
1.0.0~rc1+yeslib201107031942.173-0ubuntu0~daily3~oneiric1

where the .173 corresponds to the 173 commit at:
https://code.launchpad.net/~librecad-dev/librecad-dev/librecad

Users can find what version they have by this command: "dpkg -s
librecad | grep Version"


The filename gets scrubbed in the archives, and the PPAs can only
autobuild bazaar (bzr) branches, which also lose the git commit hash.
But you can lookup which commit it corresponds to here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~librecad-dev/librecad-dev/librecad

Would that work? Git commit id info has been requested for PPA builds:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-builder/+bug/620132
but it appears that they are only planning support for bzr branches
(that's why I have to import the git tree into bzr to get it to work)

Cheers,
Scott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to read librecad version numbers in ubuntu

R. van Twisk
Administrator

On Jul 4, 2011, at 8:37 AM, showard314 [via LibreCAD] wrote:

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM, R. van Twisk [via LibreCAD]
<<a href="x-msg://444/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4550036&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a pitty, because on the #CAM channel I sometimes answer questions
> around LibreCAD, and currently I don't have good insight in what version
> they really use, my knowledge of Ubuntu is unfortunately low enough
> for myself to not even know :)
> Is there something we can do to change this? Could the build system use the
> filename?
> As I noticed that github sends the describe as the filename...
> I don't know what bzr is

I added more information to the ubuntu package version
1.0.0~rc1+yeslib201107031942.173-0ubuntu0~daily3~oneiric1 


where the .173 corresponds to the 173 commit at:
https://code.launchpad.net/~librecad-dev/librecad-dev/librecad

Users can find what version they have by this command: "dpkg -s
librecad | grep Version"

This will work perfectly, I will take care the the SCM version will
get removed from the about when it wasn't available.



The filename gets scrubbed in the archives, and the PPAs can only
autobuild bazaar (bzr) branches, which also lose the git commit hash.
But you can lookup which commit it corresponds to here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~librecad-dev/librecad-dev/librecad

Would that work? Git commit id info has been requested for PPA builds:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-builder/+bug/620132
but it appears that they are only planning support for bzr branches
(that's why I have to import the git tree into bzr to get it to work)

Understandably Ubuntu want's to push Bazaar... so it's the way it is,
When dpkg -s  librecad | grep Version will show the version
then we can help our users and aks for there revision number...

thanks!


Cheers,
Scott



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://librecad.1049103.n5.nabble.com/How-to-read-librecad-version-numbers-in-ubuntu-tp4548453p4550036.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.