classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to tackle an overlapped lines

sunggus
Hi All,

Need your help. I many times facing problem to move up/down an entity over another of an overlapped entity as below. Below are two lines, one above another. The dotted lines is above the solid one, and it is longer. So when I want to select the solid one, I could not.

I see there are four tools that function to move one from above to below. Unfortunately so far I have never succeed to use. Is that tool used for that purpose?

Is any one have tip and trick how to do as I mentioned? Normally I just delete the upper one and re-create the shorter one so it is above of the longer one. But I believe that is not the solution.

Overlapping line
Moving up/down entity tool

Best regard,
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to tackle an overlapped lines

dellus
In this case, you could use "Select Window" from the selection tools, to select  the solid line only.
Reply | Threaded
|

sunggus
Thank you brother. That's really work.

Best regard,
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
It's also recommend to place overlapping entities on different layers. Then you can deactivate the layer you don't need and select entities without interference.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

sunggus
This post was updated on .
Yes, sure. But sometimes it is not practical as sometimes I did it just for temporary or by accident.

But what actually the meaning of 4 tools I mentioned above?

Best regard,
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
My assumption is same like yours, move entities up and down in top to bottom order, but I never used them.
From a logic viewpoint the tools can't work, there is nothing like drawing order iirc, nor in LibreCAD nor in DXF file format.
I should have a look into source codes to understand the tools.
Maybe it's a relic from QCAD.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
The use of the order tools is to define the graphical appearance, for instance shall a bitmap image be in the background of lines or cover them. Or if you have also coloured lines instead of all black, to have maybe the red lines above the black ones. Or if you use a coloured solid hatching within a shape, you will probably want it to be in the background, so that the lineweight of the contour is preserved.  
Reply | Threaded
|

sunggus
This post was updated on .
I have the same thought with yours, but unfortunately it is not work or I don't know how to use. That actually my question. Will you please to tell more how to use? I have done exactly to the lines I mentioned above. The dotted line I colored with red and the solid one I left white. But no impact by the tool.

Best regard,
Reply | Threaded
|

sunggus
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
Thank you Armin. Hope you find what are they used for.

Best regard,
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by sunggus
The command does work, but ...
I tested it out and indeed it seemed not to work, as you said. I was puzzled, because I was sure I had used it successfully before. So I played around a bit and found out that after calling up an order command, selecting the entities and closing the selection with "Enter", you have to click on the entities again! An awkward behaviour you wouldn't expect.
So please test whether it works this way for you too.
Reply | Threaded
|

sunggus
Seems so complicated. But I will do some more to see whether it work or not.

Best regard,
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
After more examination, I have found out that the command works instantly, but you don't see it, because the chosen entity keeps being selected and highlighted, so you think nothing has happened. So you have to deselect it with a deselection command, or hit escape two times, or click on it, what deselects it also.