Installing on Debian after building from source

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing on Debian after building from source

Absinthe
I have the version installed from the Debian repository. However, I also downloaded the latest version to build from source.

Following the instructions I ran qmake -r followed by make -j4.

The instructions now say that I can use "./unix/librecad &" to run the program. This doesn't load the plugins, or install the man files or whatever.

Normally I would have followed up with "make install" but that doesn't seem to do much.

Is there a script I am missing? Or am I expected to move individual files all over the system with individual sudo calls?

Suggestions?

-- Abs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing on Debian after building from source

Gary S
Hello Absinthe,

I did the same thing with 2.2.0-rc1.  Initially I installed it to /usr/ as you would find with LibreCAD installed from the repository;
   librecad, ttf2lff       -> /usr/bin/librecad
   ./resources/*           -> /usr/share/librecad/
   ./resources/plugins/*   -> /usr/lib/librecad/

However, after installing a couple of applications from their respective sites, Firefox and LibreOffice, I found the the correct location for user installed applications is /opt/ (also see /opt/ vs /usr/local/).  I cleaned up what I had done previously and ended up doing a manual install to /opt/:

Manually installed from the ./unix/ directory to /opt/librecad/:
   sudo mkdir /opt/librecad
   sudo cp -R * /opt/librecad
   sudo chmod -R ug+rX /opt/librecad/*

Launch LibreCAD and configure paths via Options -> Application Preferences, Paths tab:
      Translations: /opt/librecad/resources/qm
      Hatch Patterns: /opt/librecad/resources/patterns
      Fonts: /opt/librecad/resources/fonts
      Part Libraries:  /opt/librecad/resources/library

Both ways work (including the plugins), but in the end the /opt/ method might be easier to maintain.