Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jumping In Head First

Tango
I guess I'll jump in head first, like I do in everything else.

I've never used any CAD programs before, but I hope that having used a few vector drawing programs along the way might help.  We're building a house on a wooded lot and working with an architect on the design.  He's great to work with and always open to suggestions.

So far, when I've had ideas for plan changes, I've taken the PDFs he's sent and imported them into GIMP where I could redraw it, but that's getting quite frustrating.  I tried downloading Autocad, since I figured most of the work would be done in 30 days, before the free trial is up, but every tutorial uses the Windows version, so the Mac one is confusing.

Since I use FOSS in almost everything else, whenever I can, I found LibreCAD.

While I'm learning this with the goal of using it in this one project (the house plans), I'm hoping that I'll find it comfortable enough to use that I'll find it easy to continue to use in planning out smaller projects in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jumping In Head First

ravas
Hi

Let me know if 2.0.9 works for you (just released today for mac).
https://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/OSX/2.0.9/

Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
Sure.  Anything in particular you want me to look at?  (Considering I'm quite a newless cloobie!)

I've done a fair amount of programming in my time, so I have no issue with helping with troubleshooting and debugging.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
I just need to know if it loads for other people (works fine for me).
What version of OS X are you using?
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
I'm using El Capitan (Version 10.11.3 (15D21) ).

I downloaded 2.0.9 and started it from the DMG image to be sure it worked, then replaced 2.0.8 in Applications with it and ejected the image and it worked fine and loaded my file.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
Thanks! I appreciate it.

I'll be uploading an alpha version of 2.1.0 soon... for the daring ;-]
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
I did just notice one glitch.  I took your advice on my other question and set the units to inches and "Architectural" on current drawing preferences under 2.0.8 and had to change it again in 2.0.9.

Or is that something that's saved with the project when I save it or something that changes each time I run the program?
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
I think it's saved in the file. You can make yourself a template and select it to load on startup in application preferences -> paths -> template.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
Got it.  Thanks.  Now that I've had time to sit down and work a little on this, I'm enjoying it.