Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Learning to use blocks

Jimts
I am able to make a block (say a generic title block).  How can I reuse this (or any other ) block in other drawings.
ThankYou
Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Learning to use blocks

dellus
I myself haven't played around with blocks yet, so I hesitated to answer. As you might have found out yourself meanwhile, in the block list there is a feature 'save the active block to a file'. Then in a new drawing in 'file - import - block' select that file where ever you have put it. I have tried it out now, you will have to expect some trouble like lost hatches, wrong scaling and maybe others. Scaling can be fixed after insertion by 'scale', the scaling factor during insertion process didn't work for me. Also if units are not in mm or different in source and target problems are likely.

Good luck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jimts
Dellus
Thank You for your input. As you mentioned, there is the save command under the Block heading.  However I have been unable to track down where the Block has been saved.

Gary Fox's videos on youtube devote 3 separate videos to Blocks. These videos are helpful but at least for me, still leave me "fuzzy headed" on the subject.

So far I have been unable to find a "aha" write up on the subject.

Thanks again
Jim  
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
1. create a block
2. select the block in the block list
3. press the save button in the block list
4. choose the location for saving
5. open a new drawing
6. file->import->block
7. place the block
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
You can also use the library browser.
Set the path in Application Preferences,
and have blocks in sub-directories of that path.

If you have the other drawing open,
you can use:

1. ctrl+c
2. select reference point
3. switch drawing
4. ctrl+v
5. place
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
I've added that information here:
http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/Blocks
Reply | Threaded
|

Jimts
In reply to this post by ravas
Revas
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I am spending a lot of time on this but when I try the various suggested instructions, I never quite get the program to work the way it should.

For example:  For some reason I cannot get the (any) sub window in the current dwg.   or  when you are supposed to select the new empty block in the in the block list.  What is the correct way to do this?

Thanks for taking the time to help.  I am now functional in enough of the program to make useful drawings but would like to understand and be able to use the rest.

Jim