LibreCAD equivalent of AutoCAD JOIN command?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LibreCAD equivalent of AutoCAD JOIN command?

1940LaSalle
Pretty much what the subject line says: I'm looking for the LibreCAD analog of the AutoCAD "JOIN" command, which can (among other things) fuse multiple lines/curves/etc. into a single polyline or spline. So far, I haven't been able to find the equivalent command or guess it using synonyms for "join". Would someone please enlighten me? Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LibreCAD equivalent of AutoCAD JOIN command?

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Welcome 1940LaSalle,

in LibreCAD you can find the polyline join tool in the polyline menu or toolbar.
Where the menu or toolbar is located depends on the version. Things were reordered with version 2.1.
But the tool is named "Create Polyline from Existing Segments" in all versions, so you may find it.
For the current version you can use the online manual for more information:
https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ref/tools.html#polyline

Sadly, it seems, that there is no command for the command line for it.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

1940LaSalle
Thanks. I found the Polyline tool and menu in a couple of locations without difficulty, but I'm having trouble making the conversion. I want to join three curves end-to-end and then close with a line segment. So far I've tried selecting two adjoining curves and then calling for "create polyline from..." but joining doesn't take place. I've zoomed in as far as I can and as best I can tell the endpoints of the adjoining curves coincide. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is there some sort of snap-to-endpoint tool/command that will ensure the endpoints coincide? I can also provide a copy of the file if desired.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
When you say curve, I assume you try to join splines or elliptical arcs.
This doesn't work because LibreCAD has no approximation method to convert splines or ellipses to a set of  circular arcs.
But polylines can only contain arcs and lines, so joining curves doesn't work.

The condition for the join tool is that all the entities to connect build a continuous contour where start and end points match exactly. The entities to connect can be lines, arcs or polylines.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

1940LaSalle
That explains why it wasn't working: of the four items I was trying to join, two were indeed elliptical arcs. Thanks.