6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My Suggestions for Libre Cad

Humberto
First thanks to all that make this program possible:

Here are my two cents:

1.- when I Export the Drawing  I should be able to choose what area to be exported and not to be forced to export all my drawing.

2.- Generally the Icons are too small for I high res monitor that I am using , and the icons for different things are "similar" I find myself hovering over buttons and waiting for the description to pop and loosing a lot of time, My suggestion is use different images (they all seem to me like little squares) and use different colors for the buttons. Would be great to be able to change their size also.

3.- Generally when using the program there are many things that are achieved in two or more steps like this: step 1 choose entities, step two perform the action. when I am choosing entities with my mouse and want to move over to next step, it would be nice to right click instead of moving my mouse all the way back to the icon buttons to hit the little right pointing arrows.

4.- When on print preview I can not zoom in or out, making the process of placing the paper in place difficult, specially when I have 4 or 5 pages on the same drawing.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My Suggestions for Libre Cad

Humberto
Ohhhh I forgot.

5.- When I am drawing I usually draw in Metric system but sometimes I have to place dimensions in feet or inches, It would be very cool to have that in a dropdown menu under the edit geometry window for a dimension. and then simply choose the dimension units in which I want that particular dimension.  (very simple linear conversions right?)
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by Humberto
to save part of drawing,

1, select entities to save;
2, create a block from selected;
3, click "Save Block" button within BlockWidget, or Main menu: "Block -> Save Block".

we should implement "Save Layer" also.

Ries is working on a new way to save units.

We call on users to submit their own icon images for GUI improvement. We also need developers to help implementing right click menu and theme-based GUI methods.
Reply | Threaded
|

Humberto
For the icon Images:
what size? x,y  pixels
What format: png, jpeg, .... ??

is there a list of all the icons on the program or should I just go and try searching the actual GUI.

Where in the source code are those icons? I would like to try and create some and test them before submitting.

sorry for all the questions.
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
LC's icons are collected here: https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/tree/master/librecad/res we are using PNG directly, while we try to keep new icons in SVG (then converted png): https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/tree/master/desktop/graphics_program_icons There are ideas about using SVG icons, and theme based icons, but no developer is working on this part. Thanks, dxli
Humberto wrote
For the icon Images: what size? x,y pixels What format: png, jpeg, .... ?? is there a list of all the icons on the program or should I just go and try searching the actual GUI. Where in the source code are those icons? I would like to try and create some and test them before submitting. sorry for all the questions.
Reply | Threaded
|

duncan.lithgow
I just wanted to say that it would be a mistake to think that icons alone are the way forward in LibreCAD or any complex application. Yes, the icons need to be clear, but I think they should also serve as a que to learning the keyboard shortcuts - keyboard shortcuts are the way to draft effectively and quickly. Icons are a learning aid and aid in exploring the options.

As such I've added a Feature Request to add keyboard shortcuts to the icon tool tips: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3525897&group_id=342582&atid=1433847
IRC: duncan-nz
Twitter: @BIM_DK