classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Novice, trying to create a cutting template

ReDeux
Hi,
I am largely a novice on CAD. I am an artist in reclaimed steel, stone, wood and glass, and am lately finding myself having to model some commissions when incorporating new (non-reclaimed) material into the pieces.

At the moment I have to produce a large extractor hood (such as might be found in a restaurant, over the cooking surfaces), but the client wants all the sides to curve. Simple enough to draw, even for me, in LibreCAD, but the actual need is to create a flat cutting template from that "3D" sketch. Basically, I need to work out what the corners look like when "flattened".

Can anyone help? Unfortunately, new to the system as I am, I don't know the right vocabulary to use so can't find what is probably already out there.

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Novice, trying to create a cutting template

Philip
Hi ReDeux and welcome to the forum.

I don't know of any way to unfold a drawing in LibreCAD.  You just have to do it manually.
Reply | Threaded
|

ForrestErickson
In reply to this post by ReDeux
Hello ReDeux,

I have not used this software but remembered your question
Look at:

https://grabcad.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-square-to-round

Let us know how it goes.

F. Erickson
Reply | Threaded
|

ReDeux
Thanks, I will. I eventually used an "analogue" method which worked sufficiently well, but was nowhere near perfect, so I'm definitely interested in improving the method.

I appreciate the thought!

The WorkShop
Baardskeerdersbos
W Cape, RSA
www.redeux.co.za and www.facebook.com/JanReDeux
Visitors by appointment only, please.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Novice, trying to create a cutting template
To: ReDeux
CC:

Hello ReDeux,

I have not used this software but remembered your question
Look at:

https://grabcad.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-square-to-round

Let us know how it goes.

F. Erickson

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Novice-trying-to-create-a-cutting-template-tp5716501p5716778.html
To unsubscribe from Novice, trying to create a cutting template, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Hello, I have originally thought the shape you are seeking is something like this:

I have tried to figure out how to flatten this by my own brain, but I did not succeed.
Now after ForrestErickson's answer and your response to it I'm not sure I have got you right.
Just out of curiousness, can you please enlighten me what shape you meant?
Reply | Threaded
|

ReDeux
Hi,
You have the shape largely correct, but a rectangular footprint, not square. ForrestErickson's reply helped by pointing me to a method I could use in a different app.

The WorkShop
Baardskeerdersbos
W Cape, RSA

CC:

Hello, I have originally thought the shape you are seeking is something like this:

I have tried to figure out how to flatten this by my own brain, but I did not succeed.
Now after ForrestErickson's answer and your response to it I'm not sure I have got you right.
Just out of curiousness, can you please enlighten me what shape you meant?

http://forum.librecad.org/Novice-trying-to-create-a-cutting-template-tp5716501p5716781.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ForrestErickson
In reply to this post by dellus
The shape your suggests has elegant aesthetics but I do not think can be flattened.
I would guess this shape would have to be fabricated out of four pieces which could be flat and then corner welded.

The shape at grab cad looks to be ?flatenable? but not as aesthetically pleasing.

I think Blender lets you design by making intersections of 2D projections (or 2D shapes) which might work for the pleasing design.
Reply | Threaded
|

ReDeux
Hi.
Yes, you are correct. I never wanted the entire piece done out of a single sheet, which may not have come across in my original question. The intention was always "if this my finished piece, what is the cutting template of each component out of flat sheet"?

I eventually did it manually by marking out the footprint on a board and fastening a steel frame to this. Then I built a wooden replica of the chimney portion and marked on it where the curved sheets needed to end. I then hand bent 6mm diameter round bar to fit the angle between the steel frame corners and the marked height on the dummy chimney, and fixed them in place. These gave me the two shapes (sides and front/back) I needed when I placed sheets of corrugated cardboard on the arc formed by the steel round bar, and then flattened them to get the cutting template. Which, speaking as an ex-programmer, one should reasonably expect as part of a CAD program...

I then built a manual sheetroller and rolled the cut sheets incrementally until they fitted the wire frame and then welded them all together.

I guess it was a manual version of rendering...

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments.

The WorkShop
Baardskeerdersbos
W Cape, RSA

CC:

The shape your suggests has elegant aesthetics but I do not think can be flattened.
I would guess this shape would have to be fabricated out of four pieces which could be flat and then corner welded.

The shape at grab cad looks to be ?flatenable? but not as aesthetically pleasing.

I think Blender lets you design by making intersections of 2D projections (or 2D shapes) which might work for the pleasing design.

http://forum.librecad.org/Novice-trying-to-create-a-cutting-template-tp5716501p5716784.html
NAML