Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Observations new GUI of LC2.1.0

hansschulz
Recently upgraded to LC2.1.0 out of curiosity to the new GUI. Looks terrific and also much less segfaults than usual (especially using 2.0.9). Well done!!
A few questions:
1. I could not find the Create Block command in the menus or icons (except using the plus sign in the Block List)

2. Vertical Resizing of the docked widgets is nice for desktop efficiency. Only I could not figure out how to "lift up"the bottom edge of a docked widget sitting at the lower end of the window (e.g. the dimension/info/select group in the left hand dock area) causing a lot of screen space to be wasted.

3. I compiled this version whilst LC 2.0.8 was still resident on my PC. BTW I run Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. When invoking LC 2.1.0 I get several error messages about "plugin version verification mismatches". These messages are apparently caused by the simultaneous presence of the older LC version, which was installed as an apt package en probably compiled with a different version of Qt5 or its plug-ins. Does someone know a way to get rid of these messages? I now have to click them away every time I start LC 2.1.0 and there does not seem to be any other problem with them.

Thanks for any hints on these!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Observations new GUI of LC2.1.0

dellus
1. I don't have LC 2.1.0 at hand anymore, in 2.1.3 it sits by default in a bar below the tools bar at the left side. This tab can be switched on/off in widgets - toolbars - defaultcustom. Maybe it has indeed been forgotten in 2.1.0.
2. No need to lift up bottom edge, just drag an additional tab into the free space, it will slip in.
3. No idea, a question for ravas.

As you have taken the effort to compile yourself why didn't you use the latest stable version 2.1.3?
If just want to try it out, you can run LC 2.1.3 portable (portableapps.com) under wine in Linux.

Reply | Threaded
|

hansschulz
Thanks! I will try 2.1.3 and come back on this later.
Reply | Threaded
|

hansschulz
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by hansschulz
As suggested by Dellus I compiled LC 2.1.3 to see if there would be changes.
The Create Block icon seems to be missing in this version as well.
New observations:
Just now I noticed that the insert MText icon is missing too in the tools icon set.
And rather annoying is that Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V have no effect after a selection has been made. Funny thing is that Ctrl-A (select all) does work normally. I went back to 2.1.0 and found the same behavior there.
It seems like something got lost underway to the new GUI (which I like nevertheless!).
I also went back to 2.0.9 and voila! there it works as expected.

Reply | Threaded
|

hansschulz
In reply to this post by dellus
I checked but there is no defaultcustom toolbar or widget. Perhaps I inadvertently removed it while I was playing around with the GUI customization.
I also did as you suggested: I compiled 2.1.3 and then noticed that the GUI customization settings from the existing 2.1.0 install were automatically applied in 2.1.3. including the apparent removal of defaultcustom. Looks like I messed up :-) and have to start all over from a clean install or does someone know how to remove/reset the customizations settings.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In options - application preferences - defaults there is 'clear settings' for 'layout' or 'all'.
I don't know if it will do what you need, but you could try.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
You can add 'create block' to a custom toolbar or custom menu.
https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/wiki/Widgets

Use custom toolbars, custom menus and/or commands if you want more space.
There is also fullscreen mode, and you can hide the scrollbars.

If you cloned the repository and built,
then you would be using 2.2.0-alpha.
https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/wiki/Build-from-source

For the plugin issue you could try uninstalling the package
that you downloaded via Ubuntu's package system.

The source code comes with CLEAN.sh to remove compiled files (including plugins).
Reply | Threaded
|

hansschulz
Thanks, I got it all working now! Removing the Ubuntu package resolves the plugin issue. Creating my own personalized toolbars works very convenient, a very nice feature!

I compiled from the downloaded tar file rather than git, so I have different versions installed next to one another for comparison. So far 2.1.3 is very stable in contrast to 2.0.9 which crashed on segfaults very often.

I noticed that I could not edit the toolbars that came with LC (except defaultcustom, which I removed by accident) or do I overlook something? They do not seem to appear in the drop down when editing a toolbar.

Thanks all for your replies!
Reply | Threaded
|

hansschulz
Adding the tool buttons using custom widgets solved the missing MText button (thanks Ravas) but the Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V issue still remains (where it worked well in 2.0.9).
I now created a pop-up menu to cut selected, copy selected and paste objects which is OK but less intuitive.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
The Ctrl hotkeys work for me. As far as I know, nothing was changed regarding this.
It could be a difference in the version of Qt used when compiling,
and its relationship with your desktop environment.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
The categories toolbar is not editable.

If your are talking about the Ctrl hotkeys in regard to objects in the drawing area,
you need to select a reference point after pressing Ctrl-C.
Reply | Threaded
|

hansschulz
@Ravas: yes, I understand that, and in 2.0.9 I am prompted in the command line box to enter the reference point. But in 2.1.0 and 2.1.3 I do not get that prompt. LC seems not to capture the Ctrl-C (or same for Ctrl-X or Ctrl-V) keystrokes.
Edit:
this is my system:
Version: 2.1.3
Compiler: GNU GCC 4.8.4
Compiled on: Dec 16 2016
Qt Version: 5.2.1
Boost Version: 1.54.0

I tried on another machine running 2.1.0 and there everything is fine; The other machine runs:
Version: 2.1.0
Compiler: GNU GCC 5.4.0
Compiled on: Dec 10 2016
Qt Version: 5.5.1
Boost Version: 1.58.0

so probably the issue is related to the gcc or qt version? From my part I would not put too much effort in resolving this, unless this fenomenon is an indication of another bug...