joseph
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Overview of the Cogo Book plus History of COGO by one of its develope

joseph
This post was updated on .
Here is the answer I got, from a programmer of the original COGO programming language out of MIT, as to what happened to COGO?  I am in touch with him but he does not have much time to work on COGO at this point.  He is out of the University of South Florida, in Tampa.

" CLM COGO was abandoned when Charlie Miller died in 2000, but the name "cogo," applied to collections of coordinate geometry tools, continues to be widely represented in current software, notably AutoCAD Civil 3D and Carlson Survey. What has been lost is the concept of COGO as a language. All CLM COGO functions were batch-driven, controlled by a script that could be easily edited and rerun. Modern COGO is an interactive process that happens in a CAD program and cannot be easily documented, edited, or redone. For me, the difference between the CLM and modern varieties is the the difference between programming and drawing."  
Reply | Threaded
|

phoenix
I have apparently found a current version of CEAL Cogo. It is being developed further by entities in Australia. Please reply if interested in the progress. Joe
Reply | Threaded
|

phoenix
I have done much research on this topic over the years.  If CEALs COGO is now INTERNET based, it is a great step forward for a venerable program.

----- Original Message -----
"phoenix [via LibreCAD]" <[hidden email]>

To:
"phoenix" <[hidden email]>
Cc:

Sent:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:27:36 -0700 (MST)
Subject:

I have apparently found a current version of CEAL Cogo. It is being developed further by entities in Australia. Please reply if interested in the progress. Joe

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Re-Overview-of-the-Cogo-Book-plus-History-of-COGO-by-one-of-its-developers-tp5711543p5711691.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Overview of the Cogo Book plus History of COGO by one of its developers, click here.
NAML