Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

QCAD Book - Useful/Relevant??

ruffrecords
As an electronic engineer  I am new to mechanical CAD. I have played around with LibreCAD but it is so different from the kind of electronic CAD I am used to that I find it very counter intuitive (this is not a criticism of LibreCAD but mechanical CAD in general). There is not much general CAD stuff in the LibreCAD documentation so I purchased the QCAD book which I have found to a useful introduction to mechanical CAD in general. Clearly, there are a lot of similarities between LibreCAD and QCAD. My question is, therefore, how much of the QCAD book is directly relevant to LibreCAD?

Cheers

Ian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: QCAD Book - Useful/Relevant??

dxli
Since we have no permissions to use their documentation, there's little information available for developers, beyond the fact the legacy LibreCAD-1.0 was developed based on their GPLv2 community release.

We would like our knowledgeable user community to provide a wiki for CAD tutorial/introduction at wiki.librecad.org

ruffrecords wrote
As an electronic engineer  I am new to mechanical CAD. I have played around with LibreCAD but it is so different from the kind of electronic CAD I am used to that I find it very counter intuitive (this is not a criticism of LibreCAD but mechanical CAD in general). There is not much general CAD stuff in the LibreCAD documentation so I purchased the QCAD book which I have found to a useful introduction to mechanical CAD in general. Clearly, there are a lot of similarities between LibreCAD and QCAD. My question is, therefore, how much of the QCAD book is directly relevant to LibreCAD?

Cheers

Ian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: QCAD Book - Useful/Relevant??

ruffrecords
I understand your point but I am talking from the point of view of a user rather than a developer. Anyone can read the QCAD book and presumably developers know how the LibreCAD UI works. Does the LibreCAD UI work in essentially he same way? Is this some sort of common UI used by most mechanical CAD packages?

Cheers

Ian