Resize a rectangle, or create rectangle with specific dimensions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Resize a rectangle, or create rectangle with specific dimensions

mpitfield

This is my first post and I am new to CAD in general, as well as LibreCAD.  To be honest I find all of these drawing applications counter-intuitive but I know it's just a matter of getting my head around the basics and it will click.

I have a drawing that was provided to me, which I am attempting to either resize two existing rectangles and place them in a specific spot on the drawing, mirrored.  Or just delete them and create two new mirrored specific sized rectangles (.122" x 2.248") and place them in a specific spot on the drawing.

I know how to draw a new rectangle, that part is simple but making it or resizing an existing one to a specific dimension and locating it in a specific spot is the part I am struggling with.

I have done the google thing and looked through the forum but none of the how to videos or threads I looked at cover this specific.  Any assistance is appreciated

"Much to learn have I"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Resize a rectangle, or create rectangle with specific dimensions

Philip
Hi mpitfield and welcome to the forum.

Read this post for a simple way to resize a rectangle.\

http://forum.librecad.org/How-do-you-create-an-object-with-specific-dimensions-td5716033.html

Moving an object is easy.  Click on the object, select Tools/Modify/Move from the top menu.  You will be asked to specify a reference point.  Click anywhere in the object.  Then just move the cursor to where you want the object and click again.  You will be asked if you want to keep or delete the original.  Choose an option and hit enter and your object will be in it's new location.  Naturally, this is not a very precise way to place an object.  The most accurate method is to specify a absolute location.  If you are not familiar with the X,Y coordinate system let me know and I will explain it to you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Resize a rectangle, or create rectangle with specific dimensions

Philip
In reply to this post by mpitfield
To create a rectangle with specific dimensions.

From the top menu select Tools/Line/Rectangle.  You are asked to specify the first corner.  You can either click on a point or enter an absolute position in the command line.  Then you are asked to specify the second corner.  To make a rectangle to a specific and precise size enter the relative coordinate in the command line.  @25.24,10.99  would create a rectangle that is exactly 25.24 units wide and 10.99 units tall.  (Units can be inches, feet, meters, millimeter or whatever.)

For CAD it is essential that you understand Cartesian, polar and relative coordinates.  Here is a link to a site that explains the Cartesian system in an easy to understand manner.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/cartesian-coordinates.html   

Once you understand Cartesian coordinates the other two are a breeze!