Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snapping distance

Victor_Wren
Apologies if this is already somewhere, but I have not been able to find it in V2.20-RC1.

A globally-set limit on the visual distance that object snap applies to would be very useful (e.g. "10 pixels").  If you move outside that radius, the object snap will not grab the cursor.  Right now it's kind of obsessive.  For example, draw a circle (Center,Point).  Set snap to center and draw a concentric circle of a different diameter.  It's impossible, unless you turn off snap to center or type in the parameters, because the snap to center will not only grab the center of the circle, it will grab the radius as well, no matter where on the screen you place the cursor.  I feel that the object snap should be an aid, not an absolute limit (whereas snap to grid should be rigidly enforced).  Visual distance (i.e. pixels) would be more useful in this regard than absolute distance, because of course you want it to work the same at any scale.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snapping distance

LordOfBikes
Administrator
This sounds like you have disabled "Free snap". This is the button left beside "Snap on grid" in the snap tool bar.
When free snap is disabled, the cursor sticks on the nearest snap point, regardless of it's distance to the mouse pointer position.

We recently recognized, that this can happen by accident, with an implemented feature. Namely the space bar not only activates the command line, it also toggles the free snap option.

See http://forum.librecad.org/2-2-0-rc-space-bar-deactivates-free-snap-tp5715907.html

Maybe pressing space bar twice to activate the command line is a good workaround for this. Sadly this feature is not optional, you can't switch it off by preferences.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Victor_Wren
Yep!  That explains the behavior I was seeing entirely.  Thanks for that.  I don't know how it was defaulting disabled, but now I know what to look for.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
I'm glad I could help.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution