Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trying to understand Block creation/insertion

pcorbeil
Hi everybody, this is my first posting on the LibreCAD forum, I am a new user. I am pretty much familiar with Autocad. I used to program in C, but that was in a previous life. There was a time when I could almost hold a conversation in C...

Now I try to create a block in LibreCAD and I don't know where to start. The LibreCAD user manual is totally silent on Blocks. All the elements of my block (a kitchen stove, if you want to know) are already drawn in my drawing file, and now I want to convert them to a block so I can turn and move my stove around.

Do I need to add an empty block and then edit it to recreate my stove line by line, or is there a simpler way to use the stove I already drawn ?

Pierre
Pierre
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trying to understand Block creation/insertion

dxli
saved blocks (part library) are read from specific locations. In addition to the default, you can add your path to:

Edit -> Application Preferences -> Paths -> Part Libraries

Copy the path to the Part Library box: for example,
for *nix /home/dli/parts/
for OS/X /Users/dli/parts/
for Windows C:\Users\dli\Parts

You need to restart LibreCAD to use the newly added paths.

To actually import parts from part library: View -> Toolbars -> Library Browser

You can copy your dxf files to the part library. Important, create sub-folders in it, as the part browser only read files within subfolders. For example, your stove.dxf could be placed like: /home/dli/parts/stove/stove.dxf (or C:\Users\dli\parts\stove\stove.dxf).

As you can see, our wiki is still far from being good. Please register an account at wiki.librecad.org, and start improving it.

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trying to understand Block creation/insertion

pcorbeil
Thank you dxli.

I succeeded in creating a new block and I inserted it in my drawing.

My problems came from the fact I was trying to do it the Autocad Way, but honestly the LibreCAD way makes perfect sense.

Now I am having problems with Modify commands (move/copy, rotate, etc...). I will post a message in the appropriate forum.

And I will register in wiki.librecad.org and try to help improve the Users Manual.

Pierre
Pierre