Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Two Objects Mysteriously Selected With Others

Tango
I'm working with plans our architect sent me in a .dwg file (and I'm still quite new to CAD), so I realize I'm working with a complex file and sadly lacking in skills to handle such a file.  This has a good number of layers.

In Draft Mode, I click on the Select icon to get the Select toolbar, then I click on the Select Window icon and draw a box around the scale ruler on the plans and select it.  Somehow this also selects two items that aren't in the selection window and are a few inches (on my screen) away from the selection window.

When I saw this, I unselected all (Command-K) and tried selecting other items in the area (basically anywhere on the first floor plan - the 2nd floor is elsewhere in this file).  These two items, two ovals for a sink and a toilet, are always selected whenever I select anything else in that general area.

Why are these two objects being selected when I select anything in that area and can I stop that from happening?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Two Objects Mysteriously Selected With Others

dxli
Hi tango,

Can you upload a test case dxf to show this bug?
Tango wrote
I'm working with plans our architect sent me in a .dwg file (and I'm still quite new to CAD), so I realize I'm working with a complex file and sadly lacking in skills to handle such a file.  This has a good number of layers.

In Draft Mode, I click on the Select icon to get the Select toolbar, then I click on the Select Window icon and draw a box around the scale ruler on the plans and select it.  Somehow this also selects two items that aren't in the selection window and are a few inches (on my screen) away from the selection window.

When I saw this, I unselected all (Command-K) and tried selecting other items in the area (basically anywhere on the first floor plan - the 2nd floor is elsewhere in this file).  These two items, two ovals for a sink and a toilet, are always selected whenever I select anything else in that general area.

Why are these two objects being selected when I select anything in that area and can I stop that from happening?
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
In reply to this post by Tango
Is it a block? Open the Block List and toggle the visibility on any blocks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
I went through all the blocks and toggled visibility and didn't see the two ovals disappear at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
In reply to this post by dxli
I'm sorry, but I can't.  I agreed to certain terms in working with this architect and I can't share the files.

dxli wrote
Hi tango,

Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
sure, I was asking for a test case only, not the real drawing.

Tango wrote
I'm sorry, but I can't.  I agreed to certain terms in working with this architect and I can't share the files.

dxli wrote
Hi tango,

Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by ravas
Yes, that was my first thought. A block is a single insertion point, while could be within the selection window, while the entities of the block are actually outside.
ravas wrote
Is it a block? Open the Block List and toggle the visibility on any blocks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
One big issue here is that I'm still learning CAD and LibreCAD.  Up until now I've taken my architect's plans, in PDF, converted them to PNG, and edited them in GIMP.  That means I understand and am used to some concepts LibreCAD uses (like layers, for example), but that I may be used to them in a different way.  I've worked with groups in Inkscape, and I think they're like blocks, but I'm still trying to read up and understand them.  (And, apologies, but I couldn't move quickly yesterday due to other work.)

I'm not sure how to create a test case of this.  I think if I could do that, I'd know enough about the situation to understand it.

I have gone through the block list a couple times, toggling visibility of each block, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I have some more time today, so I'm going to make sure I understand blocks, but since I've tried hiding each block and that's made no difference, can we rule out blocks?

Does selection ever work on specific layers?  Could it be a layer issue?
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
- Save As using a different name
- delete everything other than the appropriate objects
- Save
- upload here
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
Okay, that's my bad.  I should have realized it was that simple.  Sorry.

Here's such a file.  I left in the scale ruler (isn't there some technical name for that?) and the two objects - but there's a bit more behind it that might help.

This was on the 1st floor plan, which is right near the scale ruler.  These two ovals were used as part of the toilet and sink on the 1st floor, but, when I zoomed out, I realized that two more ovals, for the toilet and sink on the 2nd floor, were also behaving the same way and were auto-selected with everything else.  Even more, when I clicked the icon for a deselect window and deselected one oval, all four ovals became deselected.

ExtraSelect.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
can not reproduce this bug as described:

1, open ExtraSelect.dxf;
2, zoom-in to show the scale and two ellipses;
3, Select -> Select Window to select the scale without the ellipses

Only the scale is selected.

Tested with the latest master branch of today.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
Do you mean the 2.1.0 version done within the past 10 hours or so?

Where's the change log?  I'm curious about what was causing this.
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
Everything selected an deselected independently for me.

The commit list can be seen here https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/commits/master
We will be working on an official change log soon.

Note that in 2.1.0 you can hold shift in the default selection mode while dragging
to produce a deselection window.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tango
While I'm asking about changes and bugs, is there a way to put a bounty on a bug?
Reply | Threaded
|

ravas