Why do we now allow advertising in this forum?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why do we now allow advertising in this forum?

sp1der
@Ries/dxli

Why are we allowing advertising in this forum now? It seems to be on the 'head' first post of every thread!

Or is this an enforcement from Nabble?
rvt
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why do we now allow advertising in this forum?

rvt
Hey,

I don't see the advertisements but may be this is because I am not in a country of target (Ecuador).

I do know that it comes from Nabble and it would cost us 5USD per 10.000 page views to get rid of it, see http://forum.librecad.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=remove_ads_page

If the ads come irritating then I think we should be able to get rid of them, the mayor problem is that they only do amazon payments and I need to see if I can buy this with paypal because this
is where the sponsoring comes in, but I am sure I can figure something out for that..
Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
Hi Ries

They are irritating for me and I don`t think its a good thing for the forum in general!
I personally think that it may discouraging and might be misleading people to think that LibreCAD is making money from advertising (although I`m sure the LibreCAD project could do with some donations!)

* Ries some more questions for you if I may:
1. What are the file formats that can be uploaded to this forum?

2.What is the upload limit?

I have been thinking some more about the wiki/manual lately and I think it might be worth using this forum a lot more for users to submit content here instead of wiki, so a usable manual can be built!

Its a lot of work to use the wiki just to submit a few things as compared to using just word/open office and a screen capture tool and then converting to a pdf to upload to this forum. We could have a section on this forum to submit to.
Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator
Hey,

I am going to look into it and see if we can get rid of the advertisements,
our forum isn't not largely visited so cost will not be an issue and will get payed from the donations.

TO answer your other questions:

1) I believe every file format should be possible to get uploaded, I didn't came across any settings on that and any limitations, it wouldn't surprise me if some dangerous extensions (like exe) might be forbidden. But I never tried it myself.

About the documentation,

I know that some open source projects use a WIKI with great success, and I believe this is still the correct way forward.
However, I discovered that using mediawiki was a big pain in the rear. Although mediawiki is very widly used, it's a not
easy to administer without downloading additional PHP code and editing separate PHP files by hand. Even something as simple
as setting permissions you need to edit some PHP config file!! SPam was also a mayor issue and we couldn't get rid of it
without closing the wiki for open registration, something that even goes against the nature of a wiki.

The problem with a forum and adding images is that if we want to make a good document, somebody needs to go and look
over all forum posts and 'grab' together images, and text and I am afraid we don't get a coherent documentation like that.
I don't have a good solution myself though and open for anything still.

Ries

On Jul 15, 2012, at 4:01 PM, ct [via LibreCAD] wrote:

Hi Ries

They are irritating for me and I don`t think its a good thing for the forum in general!
I personally think that it may discouraging and might be misleading people to think that LibreCAD is making money from advertising (although I`m sure the LibreCAD project could do with some donations!)

* Ries some more questions for you if I may:
1. What are the file formats that can be uploaded to this forum?

2.What is the upload limit?

I have been thinking some more about the wiki/manual lately and I think it might be worth using this forum a lot more for users to submit content here instead of wiki, so a usable manual can be built!

Its a lot of work to use the wiki just to submit a few things as compared to using just word/open office and a screen capture tool and then converting to a pdf to upload to this forum. We could have a section on this forum to submit to.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Why-do-we-now-allow-advertising-in-this-forum-tp5706874p5706876.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
This post was updated on .
Ries
The advertising definitely needs sorting out - as this morning here on the forum there is lots of irrelevant adverts.

Thanks for your feedback about the wiki/manual, OK for now I can continue on the wiki although it is a slow process! Maybe I will post some quick start pdf`s etc.  here to the forum - what do you think about this?

ct
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
i can see ads here.

we should disable them.

Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
agreed dxli
Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator
Gents,

I have paid 25usd for 100.000 credits to remove advertisements on the forum.
100.000 credits is good for 100.000 pageviews, this should cover for a 1.5 years
with the current number of pageviews (4500 a month).

I always wanted to have LibreCAD 'ad free' unless the donations wouldn't pay 
for the hosting. Hosting and forum is now payed from the donations which I am
very glad this worked out nicely.

Nable makes very good en software and is a reliable service, I am glad we are using this!

On Jul 16, 2012, at 6:42 AM, ct [via LibreCAD] wrote:

agreed dxli

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Why-do-we-now-allow-advertising-in-this-forum-tp5706874p5706880.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
Great, thanks Ries for sorting out the adverts.

* Also - Thanks for your feedback about the wiki/manual, OK for now I can continue on the wiki although it is a slow process! Maybe I will post some quick start pdf`s etc.  here to the forum - what do you think about this?