russellf
Hi

I am very new to LC, I installed the latest version today
Version: 2.1.3
Compiler: Clang 8.0.0
Compiled on: Sep 22 2016
Qt Version: 5.6.1
Boost Version: 1.60.0

My current issue is that when I add a dimension the text is so small that it isn't legible either on the screen or when it is printed.

Google turns up several similar issues mostly from much earlier versions and instructions don't seem to match the current version.

Any help much appreciated!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: can't see text on dimensions

dellus
The text height and other size settings for dimensions have to suit to the size of the drawn object, units and intended (printing) scale. So if it's a mechanical part in mm, let's say 250mm long and to be printed in 1:1, the preset values in options - current drawing preferences - dimensions might do it. But if it's a building, in meters, to be printed in scale 1:100, you will have to change these settings. With 'general scale' you can modify all the values (except 'fixed length'), so you don't have to change all the individual values for a different scale. Also ensure a paper size is set.
Reply | Threaded
|

russellf
Thanks Dellus

I figured that the issue was scaling what I could not figure out was where to change it. Once I know what to look for I found it at:
Options -> Current Drawing Preferences ->Dimensions ->General Scale

I suspect that is a common gotcha for newbies and it might be worth a paragraph in the manual.  I'd write it myself but I am hardly qualified with a few hours fiddling!

Russell
Reply | Threaded
|

ruprect
I had the same problem, finally figured it out but also wasted a lot of time. I've been messing with Librecad for a couple of years and have yet to get it to be useful. I just installed 2.1 (linux) hoping it was fixed, it's different but still not useful. I'm a toolmaker and use CAD every day for the last 30 years so I'm not a newbie but I prefer Linux and wish there was a usable Linux 2D CAD application, Librecad is not it.
Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
You need to use QCAD my friend, Librecad was based on qcad old code anyway. Currently even the free version of qcad is so much better than using librecad.

In my opinion librecad is just re-inventing the wheel here -a waste of time!

Reply | Threaded
|

Milemete

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try

On 04/11/2016 13:55, sp1der [via LibreCAD] wrote:
You need to use QCAD my friend, Librecad was based on qcad old code anyway. Currently even the free version of qcad is so much better than using librecad.

In my opinion librecad is just re-inventing the wheel here -a waste of time!

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/can-t-see-text-on-dimensions-tp5714303p5714386.html
To start a new topic under LibreCAD-user, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from LibreCAD-user, click here.
NAML

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Reply | Threaded
|

gomez_727
In reply to this post by russellf
The forum is elaborated and commendable. I had this issue a few months ago and it was resolved due to help in this forum. At the moment I have another co-related issue with my antivirus turning off mcafee firewall in windows. Suggestions are welcome.
Reply | Threaded
|

Honclof
In reply to this post by russellf
Same problem in 2020.Can anyone tell me hoWw cani fix?I use meter as a main unit and 0.1 as a general scale in A4.But still i cant see text in dimension
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
What is your intended printing scale? General scale set to 0.1 means 10:1 on paper. Meters in 10:1 on A4? You have to use the reciprocal value. As the drawing is scaled down at printing the dimension text must be larger, not smaller.
In 2.2.0 rc also be sure Draft mode is not on, otherwise you get boxes for text.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
In reply to this post by sp1der
I had so many problems with LibreCAD using mouse input along with command line inputs that i switched to QCAD also. I have found QCAD to be less problem prone but I still check this forum to keep up with possible improvements as they are made and someday may switch back to libreCAD but for now it's QCAD for me.

I did have to pay for QCAD but it is only a one time charge (you purchase a permanent license) and it was about $35. I also bought the online user manual for $17. I consider it to be well worth the small amount of money.

Frank