Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

dimensions reading between librecad and other softwares

claus82
Hi guys, I finally decided to get more into my job (design), but I noticed that there is a problem with dimensioning:

1) When I give dimensions in each program everything proceeds obviously well
2) When I use librecad to open drawngs that are made with other programs it works -sometimes not perfectly, because there are specific program settings, but this is not a problem, it is just necessary to set lc dimensions' style and everything works-
3) When I decide to use another program to open a draw made using librecad, dimensions are missing or shown bad... (librecad 1.0.2 and Qcad c.e. V 2.0.5.0 seem to read well!)
Any help will be appreciated.

Now I use librecad master version, but this is a problem that I knew with lc 2 beta 1 and alpha, but time passed and I forgot because I was almost about to stop drawing. I forgot it: my O.S. is windows 7 x64

@ developers: friends, on each program I tried to save in the same file format.
Here the info that I have (unfortunately I have not Autocad to check...)

PROGRAM USED                                        FILE SAVING INFO

CADEMIA 4.0                                      exported DXF (unspecified version)
Draftsight V1R3.1 x64                          saved "R2000/2002 ASCII Drawing DXF"
librecad 1.0.2                                     saved "DXF 2000"
librecad master(compiled 13may2013)     saved "DXF 2000"
Nanocad Eng 4.5                                saved "Autocad 2000/LT2000 Compatible DXF"
Qcad 3.1 trial                                     saved "R15 (2000/LT2000) DXF Drawing (Teigha)"
Qcad c.e V 2.0.5.0                              saved "DXF 2000"

You already know that I asked many times about ttf fonts (I actually think you hate me for that ), but in my opinion this dimensioning issue is something that must have top priority even on other features, anyway, I attach a file to show better the situation, good luck!

dim-issue.zip

bye!
Claus
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: dimensions reading between librecad and other softwares

cranky
claus82 wrote
3) When I decide to use another program to open a draw made using librecad, dimensions are missing or shown bad...
But this is a common problem when using different programs on the same drawing, often these snags are localized to the current program in use. After using many different computer Aided Design programs over the years I have come to expect a little of this!
The idea is to not use too many programs if you have to but rather concentrate on just one or two to get the job done.
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@ cranky:
I totally agree my friend, but consider the fact that I'm not the only man on earth, there are many people that can use different combinations of those listed programs, so I am not a programmer but I'm trying to help as much as I can by reporting if something can be done to solve problems.
I just gave some info about the most common free CAD programs behaviour, in order to simplify the task as much as I can to the people that can really do something for LC!
Secondly you can never be sure using just 2 or 3 programs, because other people could use other ones!
Moreover, dimensioning is a very important feature that must be read by other programs in order to keep LC a real alternative.
Best regards friend!
Cla
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

cranky
All good points claus82.

I suppose if you are working for a small company or on your own 'free lancing' then yes I suppose you do need to cater for all sorts of variables.

In larger companies/organisations 2 or 3 programs is enough - believe me.
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
also, please help testing our 2.0 series
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@cranky: yes man, I agree, simply there are different combinations of programs that a company may use, for this reason I tested on other free CADs.

@dxli:
dear dxli, what should I do?should I download the 2 versions? are they on sourceforge? do you have some links?
Bye!
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Claus,

the latest Installer for Windows and Mac could be downloaded on SourceForge.net:
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/Windows/2.0.0rc1/
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/OSX/2.0.0rc1/

For the Linux version use the source version tagged 2.0.0rc1 on github:
   https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/tree/2.0.0rc1

I wish you success for testing!

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

cranky
In reply to this post by claus82
claus82 wrote
I agree, simply there are different combinations of programs that a company may use, for this reason I tested on other free CADs.
If a company is using 'free' cad software there needs to be effective support in place, which is not always the case with freeware! As I say it depends on the size and financial resource the company has.

Reply | Threaded
|

cranky
In reply to this post by dxli
dxli wrote
also, please help testing our 2.0 series
Well, without much testing at all there is an obvious lack of a reference manual included with the software - which I would think is an essential part of any program, particularly for beginners to the LibreCAD program.

As for other testing, do you use a testing map?

Are there specific areas to test or has this not been organised yet?
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@LordOfBikes:
I am not a programmer, you know!  I simply use the program... I am not sure if I can say I can "TEST" the software...

@cranky:
Totally agree!!! But I am pretty confident in o.s. oftwares like LC
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@LordOfBikes:

friend, I tried to verify dimensions with other programs and it doesn't seem to work...
Anyway I've installed 3 versions of LC, I have no idea about how the software logic is, so perhaps it doesn't work because there are 3 version installed... even if I assigned 3 different folders, look at my picture...

I've noticed that old community edition of qcad can read dimensions, and the 1.02 of LC also can read them... so maybe it could be a start point trying to see how was programmed the process of dimensioning in LC 1.02, in order to substitute the new programmation strings with the old ones...
Sorry that I cannot help more
See ya!
Claudio

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Claus,

it is absolutely OK to be not a programmer. From my point of view, a user working with a software is more worth than a programmer.
The programmer knows the logic behind his code and so often test this cases that are caught by that logic. But the bugs are hidden outside this logic and are so easier found by the user of the software.

So I wish you success for using the software !

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Fine Lord!

Anyway, the problem is still in version2 rc1...
I am using it randomly anyway!
Should I find something odd/wrong I'll report!
Bye!
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Claus,

I've downloaded your samples yesterday and had a short look at it, but didn't have the time to go deeper.

I will have a more intensive look later to see what the problem is.

Armin
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
GOOD!!! You're really kind!
Gotta cook some italian dish now... I am a better cooker than designer
you should try, here in my region the speciality is rice!!! (but I think I'm gonna cook pasta)
See ya!
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Buon appetito!
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
This post was updated on .
Any news friends?
I find odd that dimensions problem... LC can view other programs dimensions but other programs cannot see LC dimensions... too strange...
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Claus,

I did some investigation this evening, but have not finished yet. At the moment I'm not sure if the problem is caused by LC. On the file level, reading the LC dxf in an editor, everything looks fine on a first sight.

I'll stay tuned to this, I have some other irons in the fire.

Armin
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
No problem! Take your time my Lord!!!  
Bye
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

cantcode
Ohhh, thought that the IMPORT/OPEN does not work

So knowing that the export from LibreCAD causes some problems to other programs, I had a look at the files and found something. Seems like LibreCAD does not seperate some values by two blanks.
Example:

LibreCAD  draftsight
SECTION
HEADER
$ACADVER
SECTION
HEADER
$ACADVER

As you can see, draftsight has two blanks before "0", "2", "9" and "1".
But in the librecad file there are no blanks before this numbers.