Where is the scale setting in print,
Regards
Cyjo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: discovering print/plot-where is the scale setting

dellus
In the simple 'print' command there is no scale setting. It just tries to place the contents of the drawing with a little free space around it onto the sheet (fit to page with arbitrary scale). Sometimes users complained their drawing was printed very small on an otherwise empty sheet. It came out the reason was  a tiny element or leftover accidentally placed somewhere far off.
If you draw a frame of let's say letter size (accordingly scaled) around the drawing and then print on letter size paper you get an approximately right scale, but still a little off.
To get it right you have to use the print preview mode.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cy O'Hara
Hello again and thank you for responding. Does this method have no scale setting method i e 1/10, 1/50 etc etc?
Cyjo

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Which method?
Printing from drawing mode has no scale setting. Printing from print preview mode has this:

There is a slider to see the whole range of predefined values. Unfortunately at first a number of scales are listed which will hardly ever be used unless you are a microscopist. You can also type in the scale manually.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cy O'Hara
Hello,  
Thank you, you have a screen shot that I understand,  however, my Librecad (2.2.0-alpha) does not have a permanent view scale window as is shown in your example.
Under the Copy and Paste icons, I have MText, Hatch, Insert Image, Create Block  and Points and then a long vacant strip?
But if I press the insert image icon and close the window that arrives, my above is replaced with Angle, Factor and DPI, If I alter the reading in the Factor window, there is no pulldown window selector?
Have a got the correct version of LibreCAD?
Another issue is that my Icons are not set in a box as shown in your screen capture, but this is not a problem.
Kind regards,
Cujo
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
The 'view scale window' is not permanent. The contents of the "tool options" bar (that's how it's officially named) may change according to what operation is going on. This is often confusing for newbies. So when you expect to have to make some inputs have an eye on the "tool options" bar.
The Librecad alpha versions are development versions. They contain the newest, maybe experimental features and bug repairs, but may introduce new bugs. Also new features may be dropped again. There is nothing wrong about using alpha versions. Just be aware of possible changes and bugs.
The latest official, considered stable version is 2.1.3.
By the way, basically you can indeed draw in print preview mode also, but some things like snap indicator, cursor crosshair and grid are not functional. So it's best to draw in drawing mode and print in print preview mode.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Cy O'Hara
Hello Dellus,

It is absolutely fascinating and I thank you for your careful and informed attention to my LibreCAD requests. It is a real adventure,

Kind regards

Cyjo