|

howto: draw a mechanical part

claus82
This post was updated on .
Hi friends, I am putting here another tutorial written by me

mechanics_tutorial.pdf

Best regards!
Claus
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: howto: draw a mechanical part

cantcode
yeah,
thanks I think this is a nice tutorial for beginners!
btw. I don't know if this will work but what about using "draw ellipse inscribed in a quadrilateral, i.e., tangential to four lines" instead of drawing all the lines for the ellipse??
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
In reply to this post by claus82
this is great!

I am wondering whether we should include the PDF in source code, or try to setup wiki pages based on it.

dxli
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
In reply to this post by cantcode
@cantcode
Yep, I know about that feature, but I think that it would have a different result, acceptable, but not totally right, so I transposed what our ancients would use to do with pen and paper... Anyway, it obviously work! Differently I would have not put this method in the tutorial!!!

@dxli
If this is a request, I sure give my permission!

Bye friends!
Claudio

...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

CADExplorer
In reply to this post by claus82
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the tutorial "Drawing a little mechanical part using LibreCAD', it is really helpful to a beginner like me. I have now reached page 7 but got stuck on the section where it says

"click on Modify>Extend by amount, enter a number on the command line"

I cant find this menu, i.e. when I click Modify there is no option to Extend by amount, see attached image.... if anyone can help me to find the right menu I would be very happy.

/John

I'm running LibreCad on W7

Searching for Modify > Extend by Amount
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi John,

the command in the Modify menu is Lengthen. After selecting this menu command the prompt at the command line changes to "Select entity to trim or enter distance:".
To activate the command line click in there, press blank or Ctrl-M. Enter the amount to lengthen the entity and press ENTER!
Alternatively you can enter the amount in the input box which appears in the toolbar above the drawing area.
Then click on the entity you want to lengthen near the end where it should grow.

Hope this helps.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
I thank both of you, I updated the tutorial!
Bye!
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

Raghu
Hello

I am a new user of LibreCAD, and have been trying to teach myself using some of the tutorials. When I tried to create the part described in “CLAUDIO GUARNIERI: Drawing a little mechanical part using LibreCAD” I found that the line thicknesses were all the same, and I was not able to create a hatch.

I am using LibreCAD on Windows 8.1.
Can somebody help?
Raghu
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Maybe Draft mode is your problem, see here.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
We should make draft mode more conspicuous.

ideas:

1, add " [Draft Mode]" to window title;
2, Write “Draft" in boxes of images/texts; (harder to implement, I suppose);
3, Write small "Draft Mode" text to each corner of drawing area;

Is there a better way?

LordOfBikes wrote
Maybe Draft mode is your problem, see here.

Armin
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
My suggestion is a message box explaining draft mode when LC is started with draft mode on or when it is activated.
With a "Don't show this again" checkbox the user can disable the messagebox when he has understood draft mode.

With your suggestions 1 and 3 I think we will have a good solution to reduce this kind of questions.

Armin
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnster_UK
Thanks for this

Am working my way through the tutorial and have got to p.9 to complete the section. It says to extend the lines and goes on about not selecting multiple end points. But it isn't clear which lines get extended to where and it doesn't show a drawing of what the result of these actions should look like.

So I'm stuck at the moment and will wait for your reply.

I've enjoyed it so far

I was an architectural draftsman almost 30 years ago but now want to draw mechanical parts using CAD for my motorbikes hence why I am learning CAD

regards

john
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
On page 9, the first line, "use Modify>Extend by amount, or..." talks about ways to join lines (to form a contour):

1, Modify -> Lengthen (also called extend by amount). It increases the length of a line by specified amount (in top toolbar area). To decrease to length, just use negative values;
2, could be "Modify->Trim", or "Modify->Trim 2"

Johnster_UK wrote
Thanks for this

Am working my way through the tutorial and have got to p.9 to complete the section. It says to extend the lines and goes on about not selecting multiple end points. But it isn't clear which lines get extended to where and it doesn't show a drawing of what the result of these actions should look like.

So I'm stuck at the moment and will wait for your reply.

I've enjoyed it so far

I was an architectural draftsman almost 30 years ago but now want to draw mechanical parts using CAD for my motorbikes hence why I am learning CAD

regards

john