classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

request/suggestion - delete double lines on same layer

claus82
Hello people.
Lately I am asking myself something that can improve LC, so the feature that I have in mind may result totally useless to someone or essential to some other people.
I have notice that sometime (especially when we create complex drawings) may happen that we do not notice that we created a line between 2 points twice or 3 times on the same layer -and we did that many times on our drawing-, so I thought that could be a good feature something that delete the double lines.
The aim would be keep the size of our file as smaller as possible and keep our drawing clear.
Example 1: layer 0, we create a line from (0;0) to (0;10) more than once.
Example 2: when we need to explode a hatch (for many reasons), a contour will be created, and if you are working on a big drawing it can burden the file size.
I don't know how to call this function/plugin/feature, maybe in edit bar we can add "DELETE DOUBLE LINES IN THE SAME LAYER" function... anyway I hope you understood what I mean...
Jut let me knowwhat you think
Best regards
Cla

...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: request/suggestion - delete double lines on same layer

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Good morning Claus,

your suggestion fits to something I have in mind for a future release.

For CAM functionality I think about a "verify" menu with several tools to improve a drawing:
  • show endpoints of entities
  • show vector of entities
  • show intersections
  • show none tangent connections
  • show gaps in continuity
  • show small entities
All these tools may highlight positions in a drawing for a manual improvement.

I think your request fits in this menu as "show overlapping entities" or could be included in the intersections tool.
Deleting identical entities should be easy, but what if one or more entities have different attributes? If you have changed the colour or line style of an entity, how should the tool know, which one has to stay in the drawing?
Another case are overlapping lines which have no common endpoints. Two short lines which look like one longer line, but the second one starts somewhere inside the first one, not at the endpoint. Or a short line which is totally overlapped by a longer one.
Sometimes this is intended by design and should be kept, but for CAM features this could be horror.

So I see the problem in deleting entities automatically. What I can imaging is a semiautomatic way by listing the shady entities and select the ones to delete.

Regards
Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@Armin:

Your ideas about the menu are really good, I totally agree with each point.
Perhaps I missed something, because I didn't know that you guys are working on CAM features too!
Anyway I can tell you that creating double lines is very common to people, maybe the command "purge double lines" or whatever its name is, should refer just to entities that have same properties.
What do you think?

p.s. I am sorry we have talked about .PAT format and now we're talking about this, but I thought more useful write my ideas here in order to them in mind and to share them, so that someone can help he/she knows what we (users) need.

Oh! I will be away until 29/08 (not for vacation  ) , so that if you will reply but will not see my further answers you know the reason!
Have a nice Sunday.
Best regards
Cla
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Claus,

I don't know if at the moment someone is working on CAM features, but it is one of my motivations and as I know, it was the motivation of Ries, when he started the project.

About your "purge double line" feature, I can imagine, to use this idea to explore the plugin interface next.

You must not apologise for sharing your thoughts and suggestions, please keep on doing so.

Best wishes

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Fine Armin, as soon as I think something reasonably realizable I'll let you guys know.
I'm leaving this afternoon.
See you soon here in the forum.
Claudio