Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Arrows

solidbutt
New to CAD and have been playing with LibreCAD for about three days.  I was cooking along pretty well and feeling quite proud of myself, being an old fart learning something new.

Then, I stubbed my toe and can't find the rock I tripped over.  When doing dimensions - vertical, horizontal, whatever - there are no arrows pointers at the ends of the lines.  I'm sure they were there the first time I went through the tutorial, so I must have done something absurdly stupid along the way, but I spent half of today backtracking and can't find.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not even sure I'm posting this in the right area, so I'm hoping for the best.  

Thanks,
Don
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Arrows

dellus
The arrows are probably there, but very small. Have a look zooming in very close. The size is set at Options - Current Drawing Preferences - Dimensions - Arrow size. If you have a tick size other than 0 this overrides arrows and you get a tick.
But it all also depends on units, intended scale, the extent of your drawing (a small mechanical part, a building or a surveyor drawing), paper size. There are complex dependencies, so there is no one simple answer. If you post a sample drawing here I can look at it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

solidbutt
Thank you so very much.  Attached is just one simple example.  My tick size is set at 0 and the arrow size, in this example, is set at 2, although I have tried others.

One other thing that I can't make work, although possible because the tutorial doesn't explain it well, is that  - again, with dimenstions - I can't get the two arrows to appear outside of lines.  That is, for example, to dimension the thickness of a thin sheet of something.   But that is likely a problem of my own making.  For now, it's the arrow thing that's driving me crazy.

Thanks again,
Don

On 7/30/2019 6:11 AM, dellus [via LibreCAD] wrote:
The arrows are probably there, but very small. Have a look zooming in very close. The size is set at Options - Current Drawing Preferences - Dimensions - Arrow size. If you have a tick size other than 0 this overrides arrows and you get a tick.
But it all also depends on units, intended scale, the extent of your drawing (a small mechanical part, a building or a surveyor drawing), paper size. There are complex dependencies, so there is no one simple answer. If you post a sample drawing here I can look at it.  

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Arrows-tp5717608p5717609.html
To unsubscribe from Arrows, click here.
NAML

trial.dxf (46K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
So inches are your units. What is the real life size of the rectangle? What is the scale is the drawing to be printed? On what paper size?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by solidbutt
Let's assume the part is 60 x 2.5 inches, as you have written this into the dimension manually. As you are in imperials, let's choose the scale 1" = 8" for to fit on a letter size sheet. So set "8" at "General Scale". Draw in real life size.

trial_sample1.dxf 
Reply | Threaded
|

solidbutt
I'm not sure what I'm missing.  What does the scale, paper, or anything else have to do with it.  If I draw a straight line of any given length and want to add a length dimension, the dimension lines are there as advertised, but there are no arrow points on the end of the lines.  The same is true with a leader line.  I fail to see what the size of the object, the text, or anything else has to do with it. 

On 7/30/2019 3:18 PM, dellus [via LibreCAD] wrote:
Let's assume the part is 60 x 2.5 inches, as you have written this into the dimension manually. As you are in imperials, let's choose the scale 1" = 8" for to fit on a letter size sheet.

trial_sample1.dxf 

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Arrows-tp5717608p5717612.html
To unsubscribe from Arrows, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

solidbutt
Let's forget this for now.  I'm going to remove and reinstall the whole program.  I went through the manual again very carefully with no change.  Too, the line width won't change and there a couple other little issues.  I'm going to start over.  If that doesn't work, to hell with the whole thing.  Thanks for the consideration, though.

On 7/30/2019 3:57 PM, solidbutt [via LibreCAD] wrote:
I'm not sure what I'm missing.  What does the scale, paper, or anything else have to do with it.  If I draw a straight line of any given length and want to add a length dimension, the dimension lines are there as advertised, but there are no arrow points on the end of the lines.  The same is true with a leader line.  I fail to see what the size of the object, the text, or anything else has to do with it. 

On 7/30/2019 3:18 PM, dellus [via LibreCAD] wrote:
Let's assume the part is 60 x 2.5 inches, as you have written this into the dimension manually. As you are in imperials, let's choose the scale 1" = 8" for to fit on a letter size sheet.

trial_sample1.dxf