Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Create, insert, add, save to a file

maurov
Create block is grouping drawing entities to form a block that will be treated as an individual entity.
Insert block is putting this single entity into a drawing.

But
Add a block, and save it to a file, are uused specifically in what necessity?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Create, insert, add, save to a file

dxli
It's like building your own block library.

if you want to insert entities from another dxf file, you may insert them as a block. Of course, we'd better implement common copy&paste across windows.

Reply | Threaded
|

maurov
You mean, we do not need to start a new drawing with a template loaded of blocks. You create a block, save it in a folder  and load it in your actual drawing by using AddBlock?

If right, questions:
-Doesn't AddBlock add an empty block?
-Have to specify it at edit/appsPrfes/Path?

Thanks for answering
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
to specify the library path ( to be used by Main menu: View -> Toolbars -> Library Browser ):

Main Menu: Edit -> Application Preferences -> Paths -> Part Libraries

As for other options in Application Preferences, LibreCAD needs to be restarted to take effect.

Basic logic prevents empty blocks from being created, but you may find out ways to defeat the basic logic, I think.

maurov wrote
You mean, we do not need to start a new drawing with a template loaded of blocks. You create a block, save it in a folder  and load it in your actual drawing by using AddBlock?

If right, questions:
-Doesn't AddBlock add an empty block?
-Have to specify it at edit/appsPrfes/Path?

Thanks for answering
Reply | Threaded
|

maurov
OK, lets start with global definitions. So, it will be easier to talk about specific ones after.

In a good environment, before we start a project, things to be preset are:
1 - A directory for saving parts
2 - A link at AppPrefs refering to item line above
3 - Some preset layers with different colors and linetypes (e.g AuxLines, Draw, Border)
4- Have some blocks stores as individual files.
5 -
6 -

Please, correct and continue this check list
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Thompson
I've understood all the above, but cannot put it into action. I have a small dxf file drawing that I want to include (overlay) over another dxf drawing.
I found the "add block" button under "blocks". When I click on it, asks for block name under "Block Settings". I type in the name of the file I want to insert and click ok.
Then I cannot find it. Have I missed something?
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
The "add empty block" button is the tool to create a new empty block inside the actual drawing. The name you enter is the new block's name. Then you have to select and edit this block to add entities to it.

When you want to insert an existing DXF file as a block, use the Import->Block function from the File menu. Then you get a file selection dialog where you can navigate to the DXF file location and select it's name.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

maurov
So, (not a Wish You are Here song)
1 - This block, added empty, will be a unique dxf drawing, will be stored at the directory specified at AppPrefs and will be avaiable to be inserted on another dxf drawing?

2 - A block is simply another dxf file that can be inserted on a different drawing?

3 - If someone can help on structuring an environment before start drawing, I would apreciate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Thompson
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
Still cannot get to work everytime.
I have to work on the sequence etc.......

What seems to be happening is as follows:
I am able to import a second drawing using the block function as described above to insert it into a primary drawing. No problem.
However, when I try to perform the above function on the actual drawing of my project, it will not work correctly. When I use the autozoom button, the imported file appears, but the first (primary drawing) is lost. I am unable to combine the two as this project requires.

Any tips about what I'm doing wrong?  There must be something really simple that I'm doing or not doing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jim Thompson
In reply to this post by maurov
Armin,

I did get it to work once, but now cannot reproduce the function.
I seem to be getting confused with the import block function and the add new block from the top tool bar.
What am I doing wrong do you think?

edit:
I have it working now. However, I'm still not sure what "add new block" function does.

Jim.
Reply | Threaded
|

achilliesdev
Hello Jim,

Where I think you are getting confused is the Add Block function inserts an empty block into the current drawing. This block is not saved as a individual dxf file. It is merely a place holder for that item in the the current drawing. What you will need to do to make the block useful is to edit that block by selecting the block and selecting edit block. Here you can draw the component you want in that block.

Once you have that block designed to your satisfaction you can now reuse that item in your drawing anywhere.

NOTE: The block you just created is only usable in the current drawing. To make it a block that you can use in other drawings you will need to create a block and then save it in you library folder.

You can create a block of any item in the current drawing that can then be saved for use in other drawings.

Here is a quick example.

1. start a new drawing.
2. create a 500mm X 500mm square
3. Add a block name it test
4. Select test block from the block list
5. Select edit active block in separate window
6. In the new window create a square 100mm X 100mm
7. Close the block edit window.
8. Select test from Block list.
9. select insert block.
10. Now select the test block
11. Select test block and then select save block. -  Save the block in your parts library.
12. Open Library Browser and go to where you saved the test block. - You will notice that it is there for use.
13 Select the file in library browser and click on insert.
14. Place the item in your drawing. - Notice that you have another block in your block list.

As you can see you now have a 100 X 100 square that you can place anywhere on the drawing.
One thing to remember is that if you select test block and then select remove it will remove all the items placed not just one. To get around this issue you will need to save the test block in your library so that you can select it from there and place it. This will add that block to you block list in the current drawing which then can be removed without removing other placed blocks.

NOTE: This is a basic way to make a block that can be used elsewhere. If you are going to make items for use in other drawings it is better to create that item in a separate drawing by itself and create a block from that item, that way the reference point is set correctly. There are tutorials on the net that go into greater detail.

I hope this helps
When you have the will to always learn there is nothing that is impossible....The day you stop learning is the day you need to change your profession.
Reply | Threaded
|

achilliesdev
In reply to this post by maurov
Maurov,

I find the best way to setup drawing settings is to create a template. This is simple in a sense.

1. Create a new drawing.
2. Adjust all the settings you wish by going to edit> Current Drawing Preferences, in this window you can set your preferences for the current drawing only.
3. Add layers that you wish to have in any new drawing.
4. Draw borders title block etc.

Once you are happy with the settings and design save the drawing in a folder. I placed mine in my template folder.

Now go to application preferences > Paths

Under template select the path to your template folder and select the file you created above.

This will set the new drawing default.

Now when you create a new drawing it will have all your settings that you like.
When you have the will to always learn there is nothing that is impossible....The day you stop learning is the day you need to change your profession.
Reply | Threaded
|

maurov
Cool.
Starting up in new programs is usually a boring task.
I believe a simple recipe may help.
Tks