classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dimensions have changed inconsistently?

rkettridge
Good afternoon.

I have been working on a drawing for a while now but the dimensions today have suddenly gone screwey. This is the original part of the drawing

But now i've been modifying the drawing (effectively cropping it down to a smaller section of the original drawing) the dimensions now look like this

All other posts i can find talk about the general scale setting which is set at 1. I could understand it if they were all the same, but some are 1/10th the length, some are 1/100th the length, others (not shown in this snippet) are correct.

I'm confused. Hope someone can shed some light

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dimensions have changed inconsistently?

aman
CAD programs are accurate, when you cropped your entity, it's dimension changed too.

To solve your situtiation, you could edit dimension numbers, but that's not recommended,

Better to change the scale of drawing. For example select all, then from the left panel select modify (+) => Scale, set the right scale factor.
Reply | Threaded
|

rkettridge
When i say i cropped, i literally just deleted the bottom half of the drawing. If i measure the lengths using distance point to point, the all measure fine so the drawing is right, it's just the dimensions that are wrong. As i said, i could understand if they were all wrong and in a consistent manor.
Reply | Threaded
|

aman
This post was updated on .
How did you crop? In LibreCad? Try deleting some dimension, and then do it again.
Reply | Threaded
|

rkettridge
Selected the lines i no longer wanted and pressed delete.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Has this drawing initially been made with a different cad system, or edited with that and resaved?
Could be a matter of the settings in Options - Current Drawing Preferences - Dimensions. May we see that tab?
What are the units?
Aman's advice to redo a dimension is a good idea, what is the result?
Reply | Threaded
|

rkettridge
**** found a solution(?) - see bottom of post ****

Drawing was drawn in Librecad and never taken outside of it. If i redo a dimension it still comes up as the wrong measurement.

I've just opened the original drawing that this file was cut down from and that also shows wrong dimensions, but if i open it in a dxf viewer (eDrawings in this case) it shows the dimensions fine. If i open this cut down drawing in the viewer it shows with the wrong dimensions (i'm assuming because i've saved it in librecad since they started showing wrong.

The dimensions options window looks like this...

Oh. Appear to have sorted it. If i change the 'linear precision' drop down to '0.0' (or anything else) rather than '0' they all come back??? Well that makes no sense!?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I can't reproduce the bug. I have drawn a line of 6200 mm length and dimensioned it with the same settings you had, with linear precision 0. It correctly read 6200. Maybe the file has been screwed up somehow, I have no explanation. Maybe you can repair it with saving with 0.0, reopen and set to and resave with 0 again?
Oh no, me stupid. I can reproduce it. You have set linear zeros to "remove right". Together with linear precision 0 this produces nonsense. So the user interface is not foolproof.

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Another discovery: this bug seems to have been fixed in LibreCAD V 2.2.0 RC. It doesn't happen there.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Yes, indeed, this is a bug which is solved in latest code.
When precision was set to 0, all zeros on the right side were removed.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Bud977
I just had the same problem. The zero's on the dimensions disappeared. Went into panic mode. I changed the precision to 0.0 as per the post above and the zeroes came back.

Glad I came here and was able to solve the problem so quickly. Tks.  

My version is 2.1.3, so I better update to get rid of this bug.

Reply | Threaded
|

RobbieT
I also had this problem, and I have only just downloaded LibreCAD so I assume I have the latest version.  I had the dimension units set to mm with 0 decimal places, but had no idea that you also had to make sure all the boxes in linear zeros had to be unticked.  I didn't think to look at that field.  Some new drawings had the 'remove right' ticked right from set up and some didn't - I never touched it.  Totally random.  Maybe this requirement could be made clear?  I was tearing my hair out trying to meet a deadline - thank goodness I found this thread - I had posted separately.
Reply | Threaded
|

caesarhao
I've seen the same issue with LibreCAD 2.2 under Fedora 36.
The horizontal dimension is correct, but the vertical dimension is wrong, very short.
Reply | Threaded
|

2.2.0 vertical dimension is leaning

caesarhao

As shown in the screenshot, the vertical dimension line becomes leaning with the version 2.2.0 in Fedora 36.
And the value is wrong.
The original file is created and modified only by old LibreCAD, which works well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 2.2.0 vertical dimension is leaning

caesarhao
I find it's the bug with the Fedora package.
I've downloaded the source code and recompiled it. It works well now.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
This is probably the same as GitHub issue #1545.
I remember, that it was reported for Mageia distro.
But Mageia is based on Fedora and iirc it was reported on both distros issue tracker.
And I thought it was already fixed there.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

caesarhao
Thanks for the explication. It's clear now.
I'll report it to the Fedora 36 rpm package.
Additionally, the plugins are not included in Fedora package.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
I think for the plugins exists the separate package librecad-data.
Not sure, but I believe this is installed as dependency automatically.

There was an issue with 2.2.0-rc2 or rc3, which was reported as missing translation.
The librecad-data package was installed, but the files weren't found because of a bug.
This may also apply to plugins and is also fixed in latest 2.2.0-rc4.
Reply | Threaded
|

caesarhao
In Fedora 36, the package librecad-2.2.0-0.13.rc3.fc36 has installed plugins under the folder /usr/lib64/librecad/plugins/. And it's invisible under the menu.
I've copied them to /usr/share/librecad/plugins, then they can be found and used now.
So, I think it's a problem of packaging for Fedora.
The package librecad-data isn't used by Fedora. For other deliveries, like Mageia, I've checked, the plugins are not included in librecad-data. So, plugins are installed with the package librecad.