classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Drawing a line of specific length like in AutoCAD

smuphix
Hi,

I'd like to know how I can start drawing a line, click the first point and then just move the mouse in an arbitrary direction (diagonal, orthogonal, whatever) from the first point, then writing the dimension in the command line or automatically while pulling the line - and having the line drawn in that direction and in that specific length.

I was a longtime user of AutoCAD, and this has been a basic UI feature it had for years (15 years ago) ... I can't seem to find the same functionality in any of the free alternatives - can't believe such a fundamental feature isn't available at first glance.

Thanks for the help!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Drawing a line of specific length like in AutoCAD

dellus
Indeed this feature does not exist in LibreCAD. Sorry.
Reply | Threaded
|

jona
In reply to this post by smuphix
Hello,

I agree that I would be a feature to have in LibreCAD, that's why I opened an issue on the bugtracker for this. It's not much, but it's already something.

Best regards,

Jona
Reply | Threaded
|

MrCAD
Well it was quite annoying at first place.

However, I did edit the librecad.alias for the line commands such as Horizontal, and Vertical, is assigned as H and V respectively. Shortcuts help to draw faster than number of times clicking the icons.

Here what I do if I need to draw a Horizontal Line (same with Vertical Line too):
1) Type H > Space/Enter
2) Type Tab and Space/Enter (quickly)
3) Type the length required > Space/Enter
4) Click the Left Mouse button (at snap point and click)

Please note that this trick doesn't work with these fellows...

Although you have solution to assign shortcut for Lengthen   command in which you will find the solution as above mentioned trick for Angular Lines especially.

Hope this help you out !!!