classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Entering architectural dimensions on command line

tyrel
Howdy!

I used AutoCAD years ago and was very familiar with the command line.

I'm trying to use LibreCAD to draw a building, but I'm having issues entering the lengths of lines like I want.

For example, I would like to draw a line from the current point to the right 43 feet 9 inches. I would expect to be able to do something like: @43'-9<0, but I've tried various combinations of that and I get Expression Syntax error no matter how I do that.

Is this possible in LibreCAD?

Thanks,
Tyrel
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Entering architectural dimensions on command line

stealth
On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM, tyrel [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Howdy!
>
> I used AutoCAD years ago and was very familiar with the command line.
>
> I'm trying to use LibreCAD to draw a building, but I'm having issues entering the lengths of lines like I want.
>
> For example, I would like to draw a line from the current point to the right 43 feet 9 inches. I would expect to be able to do something like: @43'-9<0, but I've tried various combinations of that and I get Expression Syntax error no matter how I do that.
>
> Is this possible in LibreCAD?
>
> Thanks,
> Tyrel

Does your copy of LibreCAD have a help manual? Mine doesn't.

The only way I can see is to do it using absolute coordinates such as 0,0<ENTER> 525,0<ENTER>

That will give you a horizontal line along the x axis if your units are set to inches then that is 43' 9"

Reply | Threaded
|

tyrel
I've been looking at the source for LibreCAD and I can see why this doesn't work. It uses the muParse library for parsing numerical expressions, and it doesn't know anything about the units here.

I may download the source and compile it myself to see if I can come up with a good way to handle this. Drawing architectural blueprints in the US without being able to type dimensions this way is impossible.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM, stealth [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM, tyrel [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Howdy!
>
> I used AutoCAD years ago and was very familiar with the command line.
>
> I'm trying to use LibreCAD to draw a building, but I'm having issues entering the lengths of lines like I want.
>
> For example, I would like to draw a line from the current point to the right 43 feet 9 inches. I would expect to be able to do something like: @43'-9<0, but I've tried various combinations of that and I get Expression Syntax error no matter how I do that.
>
> Is this possible in LibreCAD?
>
> Thanks,
> Tyrel

Does your copy of LibreCAD have a help manual? Mine doesn't.

The only way I can see is to do it using absolute coordinates such as 0,0<ENTER> 525,0<ENTER>

That will give you a horizontal line along the x axis if your units are set to inches then that is 43' 9"

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Entering-architectural-dimensions-on-command-line-tp5709151p5709152.html
To unsubscribe from Entering architectural dimensions on command line, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Hi tyrel!
I don't know if I understood your problem... Anyway if you use the version 2 of LC:

POINT 1

LINES WITH TWO POINTS -on the area-
-click on icon
-click on 1st point
-click on 2nd point
-done!

LINES WITH TWO POINTS -on command line-
-type "line"
-enter the first point coordinates using using "Xcoordinate,Ycoordinate" example 40,50
-enter the second point coordinates using "Xcoordinate,Ycoordinate"
(remember to use the "@" symbol to insert relative coordinates)
-done!

LINES WITH ANGLE -on the area-
-be sure that tool option bar is activated
(if not, right click on a free area of bar menu and active "tool option")
-click on relative icon
-a dialogue will appear on tool option bar having the angle, the length and the line snap point
-change the angle and the length numbers
-done!

LINES WITH ANGLE -on command line-
-type "line"
-enter the 1st point coordination as you can do on line with two points "Xcoordinate,Ycoordinate"
-type @length<angle example @50<45
-done!
When you specify the first point you may enter also length<angle, but I am not familiar with angles because I do not use them very often...

POINT 2

In Italy we use meters,centimeters and so on, so...
In order to give dimension in format FOOT'-INCHES''
try to set like down here!
<nabble_a href="set.jpg">set.jpg

I repeat: I don't know if I understood your problem, anyway I hope somehow that I've been useful
Best regards
See ya
Claudio

...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

tyrel

Hi Claus,
Your set image did not appear in your post; could you fix that so I can see what you mean?
Tyrel

Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Damn, I cannot...
I don't understand what the heck is goin' on... I tried several times and didn't work...
Anyway

Go to the top bar in EDIT-CURRENT DRAWING PREFERENCES-UNITS

try to set MAIN DRAWING

UNIT = INCH
FORMAT = ARCHITECTURAL

Sorry, I dunno what happened to my browser/pc...
Anyway just try--- damn it
I hope maybe tomorrow I'll be able to upload!
let me know!
Bye friend!
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

tyrel
Claus, I have my format set to Architectural but it still doesn't let me input numbers in that way, it just outputs them in that way. I pulled the source code from git and added an ability to make it process numbers like this. After testing it more and refining it, I may submit a pull request.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM, claus82 [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Damn, I cannot...
I don't understand what the heck is goin' on... I tried several times and didn't work...
Anyway

Go to the top bar in EDIT-CURRENT DRAWING PREFERENCES-UNITS

try to set MAIN DRAWING

UNIT = INCH
FORMAT = ARCHITECTURAL

Sorry, I dunno what happened to my browser/pc...
Anyway just try--- damn it
I hope maybe tomorrow I'll be able to upload!
let me know!
Bye friend!

http://forum.librecad.org/Entering-architectural-dimensions-on-command-line-tp5709151p5709162.html
To unsubscribe from Entering architectural dimensions on command line, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Hi Tyrel, I could add the image finally! Probably there was some problem in my town to the connection...
EDIT > CURRENT DRAWING PREFERENCES > UNITS

In this way I can give dimensions in the way you need.
Remember that in order to draw a 43'-9'' line you have to enter 525 inches because 1 foot = 12 inches, but when you will give dimensions to the line will appear correctly 43'-9''.
Notice that I left the Label box empty

Finally, look at the picture down here, if the solution above did not work, you can have another "extreme" solution if you enter manually the dimensions by yourself in the Label box that appears, but this solution takes too long. You may enter any text, not only numbers, for example 43'-9'' or anything else, for example I wrote "hello tyrel!" instead of a number.

Sorry for the delay, I hope I have been useful my friend, I am not that good at source codes and similar, so I posted the answer now (late), let me know if you did it!
Bye!
Claudio
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Tyrel,

your reading of the source codes was correct, you can't enter imperial units this way on the command line.
There is a feature request for this, but this will surely not be implemented into the shortly comming 2.0 release.

But you can enter values with fractional digits. When you change the units in drawing preferences to feet, you can enter 43.75 instead of 43'9" for absolute values referred to the origin at 0,0 or @43.75 for a relative value referred to the relative zero point.

No matter how, feet or inch, you have to convert the feet/inch values into their floating point equivalent to use them on the command line.

For dimension lines you can use the method Claus explained.

Sorry, for not having better news.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

tyrel
Thank Armin,

So far my change to the code to make this work only required a few additional lines of code. I added an operator to muParse, the apostrophe, which calls a callback that does (first * 12) + second. So now I can enter on the command line like: 23'9 or 15'6.5 and it will convert that for me. Supporting things like 15'6-1/2" would be more complicated, obviously.

Can you point me to the link for the feature request?

Thanks,
Tyrel

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM, LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tyrel,

your reading of the source codes was correct, you can't enter imperial units this way on the command line.
There is a feature request for this, but this will surely not be implementet into the shortly comming 2.0 release.

But you can enter values with fractional digits. When you change the units in drawing preferences to feet, you can enter 43.75 instead of 43'9" for absolute values referred to the origin at 0,0 or @43.75 for a relative value referred to the relative zero point.

No matter how, feet or inch, you have to convert the feet/inch values into their floating point equivalent to use them on the command line.

For dimension lines you can use the method Claus explained.

Sorry, for not having better news.

Armin

http://forum.librecad.org/Entering-architectural-dimensions-on-command-line-tp5709151p5709183.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Tyrel,

sorry, my memory was disordered in the last reply. I remembered this forum thread, but the theme there are angular values, which look similar when writing 45°15'15".

Anyway, on searching I found the bit outdated but still open feature request #41 on SorceForge:
https://sourceforge.net/p/librecad/feature-requests/41/

Gratz for successful solving this issue for you. If you want to share your solution, you can open a pull request on github, given that you have an account and fork there. Alternatively you can send a patch file or simple post your changes here.

Thanks,

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

benwilhelm
For anyone else who comes across this thread, there is a workaround

TL;DR - you can enter as a mathematical expression: 43*12+5