Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Grid Limits

ENorton2
Is there a way to limit the grid to just where you want the 2D drawing to be, say the selected paper size limits? This ability to zoom forever is driving me crazy. I cannot just zoom in and have it keep the grid units constant.

I zoom in to get more resolution and presto change, the grid suddenly redoes itself and I have no idea what the scale is any more.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Grid Limits

dellus
At the bottom of the screen (status bar) you find 'Grid Status'.
Distance of grid points / grid lines, so this gives the scale.
In Options - Application preferences - Appearance there is 'automatically scale grid', however it doesn't seem to have any effect to deselect it. Maybe you can find out.

Reply | Threaded
|

ENorton2
Thanks. I did notice the scaling, but it does not help much except to see that the current zoom shows trillions of inches and the grid looks just as it did when 10 inches were showing.

I looked into the "scale grid" option, but it did not seem to change anything no matter how it was set.

I guess I am too used to AutoCAD which I have used for a long time.

Thanks Again.

Reply | Threaded
|

ravas
Disabling "automatically scale grid" also requires changing
X Spacing / Y Spacing
from 'auto'
in Current Drawing Preferences -> Grid.
Reply | Threaded
|

ENorton2

Thanks. It worked, but I am not sure why you have to do two things in different places to make it work.

Two more questions.

Can I set the grid to say .25 inches while having a grid snap of .125 inches? It does not seem to allow the user to set grid spacing to anything but what is built into the software.

And can I limit the grid to just the area of the drawing? This is not as important, but would be nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
"And can I limit the grid to just the area of the drawing?"
I have found it useful to first draw a frame in the size of the intended paper sheet (according to the intended scale). With 'autozoom' or doubleclick on the middle mousebutton/wheel you instantly get an overview of the drawing, so you are not lost in space.
You can easily make templates for different drawing/paper sizes and scales, and also incorporate the appropriate dimensioning settings.
Reply | Threaded
|

ENorton2
Thanks. I had already done that. Now if the snap could be set to places between the visible grid markers, that would be nice.