Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hatch patterns available?

figurado
I am new to Librecad. I am looking for a source of hatch patterns. What is available in the application is very limited. Perhaps I'm missing something. I have tried to figure out how to create my own without success. What I am looking for specifically would likely be called gravel. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hatch patterns available?

dellus
Sorry, I don't know a source of hatch patterns. But it is really easy to create your own. Just make a drawing within a boundary of 100 x 100 units and save that at LibreCAD\resources\patterns, which is the folder where the hatch patterns reside. They are just dxf-files. Or open an existing one from there, edit it, delete the contents and draw new content, then resave at same folder under new name. That's it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Hatch patterns available?

figurado

I have tried this umpteen different ways. It doesn’t work for me and I don’t know why.

Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:23 PM
To: figurado <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Hatch patterns available?

Sorry, I don't know a source of hatch patterns. But it is really easy to create your own. Just make a drawing within a boundary of 100 x 100 units and save that at LibreCAD\resources\patterns, which is the folder where the hatch patterns reside. They are just dxf-files. Or open an existing one from there, edit it, delete the contents and draw new content, then resave at same folder under new name. That's it.  

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

https://forum.librecad.org/Hatch-patterns-available-tp5717990p5717991.html

To unsubscribe from Hatch patterns available?, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
You could provide one of those hatch-dxf's you have tried here and I can have a look at it.
With More v - Upload a file.
Reply | Threaded
|

figurado
Thanks for you help! Librecad is quirky at best. Right now one of the pattern/hatch files I was working on no longer shows in file explorer (Windows 10) but I can recover it by opening recent files in LibreCAD. I have to save it under a new name to find it with Windows. Try this - cobble.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
That is a hard nut - I couldn't crack it.
First I found and deleted a very tiny copy of the content of the 100x100 box somewhere left the origin. Then in the Block List I discovered and deleted unused blocks. I moved the drawing's content to Layer 0 and deleted the others. Set units to None and paper size to A4 (standard). I got the file size down to 104 kB.
But to no avail. Further experiments showed LC hatches don't accept circles, splines and polylines. Seems there is a lot more to investigate.
Reply | Threaded
|

figurado

I really appreciate your effort.  I have tried to modify existing hatch files, without circles, polylines etc. No success. I have also gone through the other efforts you list. This is enough of a problem for me to abandon LibreCAD. Too kludgy for prime time. Thanks again.

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:32 AM
To: figurado <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: Hatch patterns available?

That is a hard nut - I couldn't crack it.
First I found and deleted a very tiny copy of the content of the 100x100 box somewhere left and below the origin. Then in the Block List I discovered and deleted unused blocks. I moved the drawing's content to Layer 0 and deleted the others. Set units to None and paper size to A4 (standard). I got the file size down to 104 kB.
But to no avail. Further experiments showed LC hatches don't accept circles, splines and polylines. Seems there is a lot to investigate.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

https://forum.librecad.org/Hatch-patterns-available-tp5717990p5718129.html

To unsubscribe from Hatch patterns available?, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I have indeed successfully modified existing hatch files, though with simpler content. Maybe your cobble hatch is just too complicated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lambertus
Hatches will freeze the program if they are too dense.

A hatch pattern that looks like it was made of poly line circles or ellipses can be simulated by drawing the circles and ellipses with short straight lines. For a gravel pattern, i used ellipses of three different sizes and made each ellipse using 10 lines. That was done by using a poly line ellipse as a pattern to draw the straight lines. Deleted the poly ellipse, and then copied the straight line version in various sizes and orientations for the hatch. It is still too dense and takes some time to generate if set to any scale value below 3.

gravel.dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

billq
In reply to this post by dellus
Custom hatch patterns may be stored in a folder defined by the user.
Go to: Options -> Application Preferences -> Paths and enter your desired path to Hatch Patterns, and click OK.
For Linux users, this circumvents the need to have root privileges when adding custom patterns.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
billq wrote
For Linux users, this circumvents the need to have root privileges when adding custom patterns.
Just create a pattern folder somewhere in home, then there is no need for root privileges.

LibreCAD search in system resources and user defined path, so deployed standard hatch patterns and user pattern should be available.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution