classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to ... like in other CAD program - newbie's stupid questions

Fred
Hello,
I'm trying to get familiar with LibreCAD. Used ACAD LT97 before.
Some habits have confirmed and I'm wondering if there are ways to do same in LibreCAD:
I like using the command line, more quick and precise sometimes...

When modifying objects for example: I draw a rectangle. now selecting two neigboring sides and want to move the corner by 5 units down. I found a way to do this by mouse, but is there a way to ente the distance to move the corner via command line? (e.g. "@0,-5")

Thanks for hints! More to follow, for sure.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to ... like in other CAD program - newbie's stupid questions

dellus
It works just as you said. To move that point of a rectangle use "stretch", pull up a window around that point (specify first corner, specify second corner), specify reference point (could be the point you want to move), then specify the target point by activating the command box (click on it or press the space bar) and type "@0,-5", enter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
Got it! Explicitly using stretch (ss) was what I missed.
My prior program did activate the selected point inplicitly, so I had to enter the distance only.
Thank you for helping!
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
How to specify the fillet radius? Or the distances od a bevel? The command is asking only for two entities...
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Watch that tab next to the pen properties at the top above the drawing area. This tab changes it's content according to the ongoing operation. Here you can set the radius and other things. Always look at that tab when you seem to miss a possibility to set some value.
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
Thanks so much! Must have been blindfolded, it's so obvious... Even recherched in the user manual...
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
Hi again. Experienced an other problem: in a drawing with several line on differnt layers I want to change the layer of more the one line. With the command "properties (prop)" I can do exactly this, but for a single entity only.
Can this been done to multiple entities at the same time?
Can a description be found in the user manual? Or can I contribute to the user manual by adding solutions to my problems there?
Thanks for helping again!
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
"Attributes" is the weapon of choice to change properties of several entities in one stroke.
The manual(s) as it is now is a bit unsatisfying, scattered at several places and outdated. It should be completely rewritten. But what a task!
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
Merci!

If there is a possibility to contibute to a manual (e.g. an editable wiki manual?), then let me know. Could imagine that I'm not the only one you are answering to "stupid questions".

Thanks again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
LibreCAD works for me, better and better...
How do I transfer all my settings, toolbars etc from one PC to the other one in the workshop? Can't find a save/load settings menue item... In what file are them stored?
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
Another thing: When I enter a command (e.g. move) by mouse, then I'm prompted to "select to move". Now I can select one or more entities by left mouse button click. OK. To end the selction process and proceed moving (by specifying reference- and target point) I need to press the "enter" key on the keyboard.
Is there a possibility to end selection also by mouse?  Left mouse button selects/deselects; middle is zooming, rignt mouse button cancels the command, but keeps the entities selected. Left button again allows to select the recent commands, and with still selected entities it proceeds then with reference point and target point. But it is weired to cancel first and start again... Is there another - more logical - procedure?

Thanks for help!
Reply | Threaded
|

Fred
Allow me for one more stupid question:
How to save some parts out of a large drawing (e.g. for CAM pre-processing)?
Ist there a kind of "save selected entities"? (save in dxf format)
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Fred
I don't know of a general save/load settings feature. Under options there is something called style sheet, but I don't know anything about that. The general settings seem to be stored in the windows registry. If you know how to handle that...
I personally prefer to use a portable version of LibreCAD (and of any other program if available) from portableapps.com. Here the settings are stored within the LibreCAD folder.This way you can carry your customised version anywhere, run it from an usb-stick or copy it to the hard drive. You even can keep and run several different (experimental?) customised versions.

Concerning ending selection by mouse and all that: These procedures are indeed often weird, confusing and inconsistent. I think we will have to live with this.

There is no "save selected". A workaround is to select, invert selection, delete temporarily by keyboard (del), save as, and undo again.