classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I cannot modify an existing text

RFDupuis-cad
I am using
- LibreCad Version 2.1.2 on my Linux/Ubuntu computer (Compiler: GNU GCC 6.2.0, Qt Verson: 5.9.5, Boost Verson: 1.62.0)
- LibreCad Version 2.1.3 on my Windows 10 Pro computer (Compiler: GNU Gcc 4.9.1, Qt Version: 5.4.1, Boost Version: 1.60.0)
Both version give me the same problem. I cannot modify an existing text.
Here is what I read/do to modify existing text :
Tools -> Modify -> Property -> and select the existing text
   and I get the Insert box. I would expect to get the  MText box showing the existing text.

If I select the existing text and hit A (for MText), I get the MText box of course, but with the last text I insert in the drawing...

Is there a better way to modify existing text. I am doing a genealogical drawing with many name on the tree and dont want to re-type all the tree.
The original drawing was made in AutoCad and translate in DXF so I can use LibreCAd. I dont have access to AutoCad anymore and dont want to pay for doing simple 2D drawings.
Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I cannot modify an existing text

dellus
I have also encountered in drawings of different origin than LibreCAD that objects are labeled "insert" where I expect something different, for example dimensions. Probably LibreCAD can't handle some modern AutoCAD entities.
What happens if you "explode" these inserts?
Reply | Threaded
|

RFDupuis-cad
Thanks for the reply. I did try the "Explode" with no results.
I think the only way around is to retype all those text within LibreCad and then I can modify them after.
This problem seem to be related to the translation from the AutoCad DWG drawing to the DXF format.
I convinced myself that it is still worth since I love LibreCad. It does what I need and most of my AutoCad drawings were translated the same way (so the same re-typing will have to be done once).
Then I will be using a great software that I can afford !
Thanks again.
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
Do a couple of changes manually then compare the files. It might be a simple formatting issue that can be fixed with a search and replace. An editor like np++ (Windows) will do the file compare and the search/replace.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by RFDupuis-cad
Another thing worth to try is to experiment with different, older or newer dxf versions as conversion target. LibreCAD should be able to read up to dxf V2007. The free Teigha file converter is a good option.
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
This post was updated on .
dellus wrote
The free Teigha file converter is a good option.
I added it to the wiki but it wasn't successful with the test drawings - eg corona.dxf.