Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing on Debian after building from source

Absinthe
I have the version installed from the Debian repository. However, I also downloaded the latest version to build from source.

Following the instructions I ran qmake -r followed by make -j4.

The instructions now say that I can use "./unix/librecad &" to run the program. This doesn't load the plugins, or install the man files or whatever.

Normally I would have followed up with "make install" but that doesn't seem to do much.

Is there a script I am missing? Or am I expected to move individual files all over the system with individual sudo calls?

Suggestions?

-- Abs
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Installing on Debian after building from source

Gary S
Hello Absinthe,

I did the same thing with 2.2.0-rc1.  Initially I installed it to /usr/ as you would find with LibreCAD installed from the repository;
   librecad, ttf2lff       -> /usr/bin/librecad
   ./resources/*           -> /usr/share/librecad/
   ./resources/plugins/*   -> /usr/lib/librecad/

However, after installing a couple of applications from their respective sites, Firefox and LibreOffice, I found the the correct location for user installed applications is /opt/ (also see /opt/ vs /usr/local/).  I cleaned up what I had done previously and ended up doing a manual install to /opt/:

Manually installed from the ./unix/ directory to /opt/librecad/:
   sudo mkdir /opt/librecad
   sudo cp -R * /opt/librecad
   sudo chmod -R ug+rX /opt/librecad/*

Launch LibreCAD and configure paths via Options -> Application Preferences, Paths tab:
      Translations: /opt/librecad/resources/qm
      Hatch Patterns: /opt/librecad/resources/patterns
      Fonts: /opt/librecad/resources/fonts
      Part Libraries:  /opt/librecad/resources/library

Both ways work (including the plugins), but in the end the /opt/ method might be easier to maintain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
Hi Gary,

I have just moved over to Linux Mint on a new (to me) laptop.  I have downloaded LibreCAD version Version: 2.2.0-rc1-31-gac524db following the instructions on the WIKI "Build from source."  Is there a way to run the program by clicking on an Icon?

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
In reply to this post by Gary S
Are you finding this version to be buggy?  It crashes on me quite a bit and several minor pesky things.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary S
Hello Philip,

You will have to create your own icon on the desktop, the install doesn't create one for you.  I'm on Debian with Cinnamon, so it should be something along right click on the desktop and select "Create a new launcher here...", specify the path (or browse to the application), etc.  If you need a few more details, let me know and I'll give you the step by step...

I haven't recompiled since RC1, but I don't find it to be any worse than the previous version.  Other than a couple of inconsistencies between similar actions, the only issue I have found is an occasional crash after a several copy / paste operations.

Regards,
Gary
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
Thanks Gary,

That did the trick.  I'm new to Linux (Mint Cinnamon) so I have a lot to learn.
Reply | Threaded
|

ahmadraniri
In reply to this post by Philip
grab a shortcut then edit it through text editor, you can find "exec", you can fill it with your executable librecad path
it's work for me