Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Isometric drawing dimension

Rock77
Let me start by praising to the developer and the community of LibreCAD for the wonderful tool and knowledge they provide for free.

I am a mechanical engineer with limited experience in CAD and professional drawing and I would like to understand if there is an easy way to generate in librecad the dimensions for an isometric drawing as the example in the following image:

I did some experiment with the aligned dimension, but in order to have the text and the extension lines aligned to the isometric axis I need to explode the dimension and manipulate each single object (that is at least time consuming)

Is there any option that I am missing, or any plan to further develop the dimensions commands to simplify the annotations on isometric drawing?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Isometric drawing dimension

fa201
Digging into the documentation, I found the following which could help :
https://wiki.librecad.org/index.php?title=LibreCAD_users_Manual#Isometric_Grid (old wiki for old GUI but the principles should be the same).
https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/dwg-edit.html?highlight=isometric#isometric-view
Fabrice

French hobbyist interested in 2D design.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rock77
Fabrice, thank you for the hint,
the wiki references are useful but maybe I am still missing something: this is the result I was able to get in LibreCAD

As you can see from the comparison of my drawing with the reference image, the lenght of the upper piece of the plate are wrong (even if the drawing is dimensionally correct), since the lines are drown along an isometric axis

The angular dimension is also wrong (150° is the value in the plane of the paper, but the actual value in the isometric view should be 135°)

Finally the extension lines are not following the isometric axis, but are just orthogonal to the lines in the plane of the paper

As I said, all those things could be fixed exploding the dimensions and working manually, but of course this approach is time consuming and increase the possibility to make a mistake
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
What you want can not be done in LibreCAD.
The screenshot of the example you show probably has been made from 3-D CAD program where you can draw the dimensions in the according views / planes and then turn the whole thing into an isometric view.

The length of the upper piece of the plate probably is right, just draw a line parallel to the bending edge with a distance of 2.5 units and see where it lies. The angle also is indicated properly, as LibreCAD is a 2-D program and can't know what the angle would be in a straight side view.
The isometric grid is just an aid to easily draw 30/60 degree lines, but you can't really draw these with 3-D coordinates.