Linear Precision - Not getting my head round it!

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Linear Precision - Not getting my head round it!

JeffM
Hi Folks,

I'm sorry that I'm probably covering old ground, but I can't quite get to the information I'm after. I'm not a regular CAD user and am picking up Librecad as I'm working on a project. So far it's been great for roughing out schemes and suchlike, but now I have to get down to outputting component drawings the linear precision thing has me a bit stumped.

What I'd like to do is have the trailing zeros signify machining tolerances, ie.
x = +/-0.5mm
.x = +/-0.25mm
.xx = +/-0.15mm

OK, the last time I drew anything in earnest was on a drawing board using a Rotring pen, but I would have considered this to be a fairly fundamental requirement.

Reading previous posts it seems that I can only set the linear precision for the drawing as a whole, but I can strip trailing zeros. My problem is that stripping trailing zeros also affects all dimensions, so I can't see how this helps me.

How can I show 15.0 and 15.00 on the same drawing, for example?

I'm sure the answer's right there in front of me but I'm just not getting it I'm afraid.  

Generally loving the package, but I could really use some help.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Linear Precision - Not getting my head round it!

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi Jeff,

setting dimensions preferences for the whole drawing is a limitation of DXF file format.

But you can anyway change drawing labels with the Properties tool in the Modify tool bar.
There you can enter a user defined label for the dimension and tolerance values too.
A drawback is, that this label is nothing more than a simple text. When you modify the length of the dimension, the label is not updated any longer.
When the label in dimension properties is cleared, the dimensions real value is shown again, with global precision.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Linear Precision - Not getting my head round it!

JeffM
Hi Armin,

That's nailed it, thank you. I knew there had to be a simple solution, I just couldn't find it.

Regards,

Jeff