Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Must have items

V Green

Have been moving away from Windows for a couple years now.  Do some light 2D mapping/drawing with AutoCad LT 2000.  Was hoping LIbreCad would be able to meet my needs.

My most often used workflow is:

Load a background image of an existing map/drawing.
Draw lines and other features on the background image.
Save / export / print a complete rendering of the image and entities.

LibreCad allows the loading of an image, and I can draw lines on it, but none of the Snap options work when drawing on the image.  The Snap options work fine if the image is hidden.

Is this a known limitation, and is there any way to work around it?

Also, is there a function similar to "show wide lines" in AutoCad when a pen width is wider than default?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Must have items

dellus
For me snapping on lines above an image works.
A known limitation is that you can't select an object for modification by clicking on it, as the drawing then disappears to behind the image.
Line width is in fact being shown but not adapted to the intended scale of the drawing. In drawing mode it's always shown 1:1. So if you are working on a map that may stretch over several kilometers a line of 0.5 mm thickness will appear very faint. You have to switch to Print Preview and set the intended scale to check how it will look like.
Reply | Threaded
|

V Green
Thanks for getting back to me.

I had found out how to get wide lines to display using Print Preview after my post was made
by finding another user's post. That is a less than optimal way to do things, but I can work
with it.

The inability to work with entities displayed over a background image is a deal-breaker. Most
of my work consists of creating layers for QGIS by loading up aerial images or topo maps
then adding new vector entities by drawing over roads, etc., scaling to UCS, then adding the
layer to QGIS project.

Will keep booting into Windows and running AutoCad LT and/or trying to install it under WINE
until a more full-featured CAD package for Linux shows up.

Vance

On July 29, 2017 3:40:04 AM MST, "dellus [via LibreCAD]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
For me snapping on lines above an image works.
A known limitation is that you can't select an object for modification by clicking on it, as the drawing then disappears to behind the image.
Line width is in fact being shown but not adapted to the intended scale of the drawing. In drawing mode it's always shown 1:1. So if you are working on a map that may stretch over several kilometers a line of 0.5 mm thickness will appear very faint. You have to switch to Print Preview and set the intended scale to check how it will look like.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Must-have-items-tp5715130p5715131.html
To unsubscribe from Must have items, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
You may try QCad, of which LibreCad is a fork. Drawing on Images seems to work there. It's commercial, but they have a free Linux Community edition.
Or try Draftsight, commercial too but a free slightly cut down Linux version is offered. More similar to AutoCad.