Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nightly 198 doesn't start

dellus
Nightly 198 doesn't start on my Win XP, CancelIoEx in Kernel32.dll not found. The exe file is also much smaller than previously. Does it not work on XP anymore or has something gone wrong?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nightly 198 doesn't start

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Many thanks for reporting this @dellus.
I removed it and also build 201 from last night.

I moved the build server recently and updated the Qt version, so this may be the reason for the smaller file size.
I have to check if build 192 was already build on the new server to verify this.
Anyhow, the version worked for me on Linux and I'll have to lock later what happens on Windows.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Well, this is indeed the Qt version.
The old build server used Qt 5.4 and the new uses Qt 5.12.

The 192 build is the last build from the old server with Qt 5.4.

Do you have a XP machine where you use LibreCAD regularly or did you find this by chance?

The options are:
- Qt 5.5 (Oct 2015), this is the last version with native XP support
- Qt 5.6 LTS (Sept 2017), absolutely last version for XP deployment, but XP support must be enabled by compiling Qt oneself
- abandon XP support

So we have to consider if we want to maintain a XP version in future.
This is not only a matter of the build server.
I have seen pull requests and forks which use Qt methods from newer versions than 5.6.
Even when I downgrade the build server now, it will come to the point when new features require newer Qt versions.
There may be work around solutions, but the question is if they are worth the effort to support the 2014 ended Windows version.

And I don't want to miss to mention that the latest Qt release is 5.14 (Mar 2020)  and 5.15 is expected to be released next week.

I think I'll create polls here and on Zulip to get a broader response about the need of XP support.

Anyhow, any thoughts are welcome here too!

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I have an older XP machine only where I use LibreCAD regularly, and up to now have refused to update to a newer Windows version. I use Linux (Puppylinux) on it too, but I will loose the the ability to run the nightlies, which I will miss. Same with the portables.
It makes no sense for LC to stick to XP just because of me and and some few other people (maybe in poorer countries who run older machines), maybe it's time to get hold of a Win7 copy, or try to set up a working Win7-wine on Linux.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
Vote in our poll about Windows XP here: https://forum.librecad.org/Windows-XP-still-in-use-tp5718970.html
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by dellus
I have installed rc201 into Wine in Linux, set up to mimic Win7 and got this error:

Same when I assembled a portable of it in the manner I did before and tried to run it with Wine.
What does this mean? Isn' t the Qt part included in the Windows version?
Of course not a LibreCAD issue, but maybe someone can help.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
I can't help with Wine.
You're right, Qt should have put all needed Qt files into the installer.
Maybe it's a missing system file in Wine.

But I have set up this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/Windows/NightlyBuilds/master.xp/

I have tested LibreCAD-XP-Installer-2.2.0-rc1-201-g39300516.exe in a XP VM and it worked for me.
The XP version is build with Qt 5.5.1 and I think we can keep this up until the next release.

Armin
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Thanks for master.xp. I have already discovered and tested it, works fine.